thread: So today I was lucky enough....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    Feb 2010
    Gold Coast
    2,117

    They used forceps to deliver my DS during a c/s. I could hear them panicking a bit, and when they asked for forceps I wanted to scream. My sweet little boy was torn out of me in the worst way possible, and ended up with a little bruise on his cheek. I don't doubt that it was traumatic for him. I was upset by it and I knew what was going on, so I can only imagine what it was like for him to be separated from me in that manner. Poor little muffin.

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Jun 2010
    Tiny Town
    4,675

    Wow Blessed, what an incredible experience that would have been! Granted I probably would've fainted almost immediately lol, but I'm guessing training to be a nurse you're a little more into it Also good to hear the forceps seemed to be only as required and only quick. I'll be hoping little Button is nice and low and easy to get out for you!

    Jax, I'd bring it up again too if I were you. I'm going to a very small local hospital, and they're very accommodating. The midwives have told us that if a c-section is needed, they'll still try to adhere to our birth plan as much as possible - skin to skin contact immediately (as Snacks said, just with a blanket over both Mum & bub same as with a vaginal birth - I can't imagine it would be so much colder in theatre than the delivery room) and delayed cord clamping if possible. She did say the cord may need to be cut, because it may not reach over the sheet thingy to get bubs to mum

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Oct 2008
    brisbane australia
    840

    I am all for skin to skin, I want it too with this bub, but theatre is MUCH more colder, this is on purpose to help prevent infection and bacteria as they can't thrive in a cold climate, having said that, it wouldnt kill them to pop a blanket over the bub, and its not like its for half an hour. i wish this would be a more common practice like they have with VB births.

  4. #4
    BellyBelly Member

    May 2008
    1,110

    I had a straightforward c-section. Bub came out, went to the paediatrician for a minute, and then was wrapped in a blanket and placed on my chest. I could hold him and talk to him while they stitched me up. And he just looked at DH and I as if to say "who on earth are you?".
    You need to remember that having an anaesthetic also screws up Mum's ability to maintain temperature a bit, so it's probably not a great idea to rely on that to keep bub stable. And the theatres are chilly!

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Jul 2008
    Home with my Son :)
    2,611

    The Mamas did get to hold their bub for a while but it wasn't immediately. Although it only took the paed probably 2 mins to check bub before wrapping and passing to Mum, it seemed to me like a lifetime.. Then bub went to recovery with Mum but the middy took bub there and weighed them etc.. I know I have said this before but I can't possibly explain how traumatised I am from my experience of having prems that any second separated is going to affect me..

    Jax - I was going to ask about delayed cord clamping too. I'll be asking about skin to skin too, I'll push more for skin to skin. Royal womens hospital are real advocates for it. When I first held the twins they really encouraged skin to skin, even with DP.. A shame I didn't get to hold Taite til he was 9 days old and Seth til 11 days old I'm grateful I got to hold them at all though..

    Kaytee - I was so excited just to be going to watch a surgical procedure, but to get to witness that was a privilege . The nurses warned me if I felt faint just get close to the floor lol. I knew I wouldn't faint though, I can easily deal with stuff like that.

    Forshelby - That sounds awful

    Me+him+bub - That totally sux they take the bubs to special care. there is no need for that, unless Bub's health is actually compromised somehow.

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Jan 2011
    Perth, WA
    1,245

    I know I have said this before but I can't possibly explain how traumatised I am from my experience of having prems that any second separated is going to affect me..
    I truly understand the trauma.
    I really, really hope you get the birth you want, you deserve it.
    I don't have any experience with full term c=section but want to wish you the very best.

  7. #7

    Jan 2008
    3,107

    I can kind of understand but in the end..

    People should be blessed that their child is alive, breathing, healthy.. they have their whole lives to cuddle.