Thread: some advice please re; c/s

Default some advice please re; c/s

Hi,

Just over a week ago my Ob informed me that I very well may have to have a c/s, this is not how I had pictured my birthing experiance to be for my 3rd child for the first time I have been feeling so posative and excited about birthing my beautiful new baby and have not felt nervous or scared in any way,

But now I am scared, scared stiff,

He said that the reason for this is because in my last u/s a fibroid measuring at 5.6 cm was found in the lower part of my uterus and that because of this and the fact that fibroids grow rather aggresivly during pg that it will cause the baby to not be able to come down the birth canal and that they will have to do another u/s a little closer to my due date to see how much the fibroid has grown and if infact it is going to cause complications during birth.

I guess what I am wanting to know is if anyone has heard this before, or if it has happened to them? can you birth vaginaly with fibroids or can they infact cause complications??? and any other advice you may have.

I dont want to not trust my OB but from reading an article in this thread I am feeling as though I should question this and not just let it be, I was so looking forward to going into labour naturaly and having a posative experiance.

I know that sometimes c/s are nesesary and of course if that were the only way then absolutely I would just go with it, but I feel uneducated and unable to feel as though I know exactly what he is talking about and be happy with his decission.

it has not been said that it is a deffinate that I will indeed be having a c/s but the chance is there and I want to be armed with knowlege and questions if the need arises.

TIA for any advice you have to offer it is very much appreciated

Last edited by *Elle*; February 18th, 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: spelling

Sorry to hear Amy. I dont have any answers, but I'm sure someone will be able to give you some! It must be horrible to hear that sort of news when you just dont expect it. I guess at least you have some time to get your head around it IYKWIM. I will keep my fingers crossed, that you dont have to have a c/s. Please dont be scared! You will be fine...Good luck.

aww thank you, yeah it kinda knocked me for a 6 I really had not expected to hear that at all especially after having 2 natural deliveries in the past and no c/s it had never even been sugested to me before so hmm it took me a while to get my head around it. but thanks again.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Some wise advice from a lovely midwife:
    One can labour and birth with fibroids. It depends on where they are situated. I would wait until term, then u/s. If the fibroid is in the lower segment it may cause problems. Still worth having a go at labour and see if bub descends. Also, some fibroids are on the outside of the uterus, others in the muscle. I wouldn't be too worried yet.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

thanks so much Kellie, i was hoping you would post in here, that has made me feel alot more posative about my options and the hope that I can avoid a c/s

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Here's another story for you:

I recently had a client who had 10 cm fibroid in the lower segment which filled the pelvis in first trimester and resulted in a fundus at the level of the umbi at 12 weeks gestation. We (I did shared care with an Ob) thought she would have to have a c/s but because the lower segment grows during a pregnancy, the fibroid (like a low lying placenta placenta) moved up out of the pelvis by fullterm and she had a beautiful vaginal birth.

So wait and see ...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Even better thanks kelly

Amy, it sounds like they are leaving the possibility of it open at this point until they see what happens closer to the birth. As Kelly's post said "Wait and see ...". The doctor would have told you this because he wants you to be prepared for what might happen. As much as you want a vaginal birth I think it will also help if you prepare yourself mentally for the possibility of a caesarean. It sounds like you are thinking along those lines anyway.

I believe that it is important you have other information on the possibility of having a vaginal birth in spite of the fibroid, but it is also important that you feel able to talk about this with your caregiver and are happy within yourself that you have been listened to. I hope that you do get your wish for a third vaginal delivery but I also hope that you will feel you can trust that the right decisions were made at each stage of the process. Best of luck and I hope everything goes really well.

Thanlyou Mel, I think you are right I beleive he is preparing me for the possability, I hit panic stations once it all sunk in ooopppsss just started freaking out at the thought of it, thakyou for some really great acvice I will certainly use it and educate and prepare myself for either outcome.

Thaks again for your kind reply

Just thought I would update as I had a scan today, the sonographer today said there is no fibroid ??????? go figure huh very confusing, I have to go back again on the 5th of march for another scan as my dates were wrong and I am only just 18 weeks today not almost 19 weeks and apparently they like to do them between 19 and 21 weeks as the baby is alot more visable and they can get a clearer picture and take the measurements more acurately so she will check again at the next one,

so either the first sonographer had no idea, or the one I saw today has no idea?????

I am more inclined to feel the one I saw at the 12 week one didnt fully know what she was doing as today has just confirmed that my original dates are correct and that my lmp is correct which I was pretty sure of, I also had several scans after my last m/c and they found nothing like a fibroid??? so who knows hey I guess we willknow more on the 5th.

Amy that sounds like better news. Best of luck for the 5th.

Hi,

I have a 1.9cm fibroid on my left ovary. It was picked up on my 5 weeks scan and wasn't visable on my 19 week scan. My sonographer said that they tend to get pushed back out of sight.

It is possible for fibroids to shrink in pregnancy if the baby puts pressure on the vital organs that feed them. Which ultimately kills the fibroid. Most fibroids don't cause any trouble. But doctors like to keep an eye on things just in case.

It is said to be more likely for fibroids to grow during pregancy. Sometimes doctors recommend c/s if they are concerned that the fibriod is growing verly rapidly and could either steal space or vital nutrients from the baby.

If you scan showed no trace in your 18 week scan - thats probably good news. Stay postivie and be sure to ask your doctors lots of questions so that you feel confident with any decisions that may arise.

All the best.

Hi Amy,

i had a 3cm fibroid picked up at a 5week scan.
    It was very low, right near my cervix.
    At my 20 weeks scan it was 6cm.

My shared care GP was still not overly worried, and said I could have a scan at 36 weeks if I wanted to, but it wasn't necessary and I could just go with the flow and if need be would have an emergency c/s.

HE said that fibroids do not necessarily grow during pregnancy, but that all the extra hormones can make them a bit unpredicable (ie some grow, some shrink, some implode). But most move up out of the way by the time it comes to give birth.

I am guessing that is what happened to mine, becuase I did have a scan at 36 weeks and the radiographer found no fibroid.

I have a vaginal birth.