thread: stay in hospital

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Registered User

    Sep 2008
    5

    thanxs for all the reply.
    but if i am booked for 3 days and i am admitted on a wed, would that allow me to be discharge on a fri or a sat ? As that would make a different who drives me home from the hospital.
    I keep forgetting to ask the Dr. ( but slightly shy to ask that question ).

  2. #2
    Registered User

    Feb 2004
    Melbourne
    11,171

    The day you have your baby is considered day 0 so Saturday would be day 3.

    Generally what happens is you have the bed for five days, but if you like you can go on an early discharge program which means you will have midwives visit you at home each day until five days after the birth. You are not technically discharged from the hospital until the five days is up, so if anything goes wrong you can go straight back in. To be discharged early both you & bub must meet whatever criteria the hospital has, so if bub is not ready to go home but you are bub will have stay.

  3. #3
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    3,305

    The day you have your baby is considered day 0 so Saturday would be day 3.
    i was told by midwife in my last c section that if bubs is born in morning of that day its day 0 if bubs is born in afternoon its day 1.

    I stayed 6 days for all 3 c sections altho i had other problems that needed monitoring.
    You can go home when they are confident you can be mobile. the next day they get you up and walking and they like you to have done a poo before leaving hospital 3 days should be fine. PLus they have early discharge programs!!

  4. #4
    BellyBelly Member

    Mar 2005
    Limestone Coast, SA
    2,671

    At my hospital if you give birth am then you count that as day 1, if you give birth pm then they count that day as day 0.

  5. #5
    Registered User

    Feb 2004
    Melbourne
    11,171

    How strange because I had one baby early AM and one early PM and both times it was day 0. Maybe it depends on the hospital?

  6. #6
    Registered User

    Jun 2008
    946

    Yes, I thought it was based on time of having baby too, based on what they told me when I had DS, who was born mid morning. I remember them saying to me the next day that he was 2 days old and I said, "no, he was only born yesterday", and they explained something about when they take it from, but maybe thats a different 'day' than the way they work out the duration of your stay.

    Best to check with the Dr and then probably recheck with the hospital!
    I would guess you`d go home on the Saturday...?

  7. #7
    Registered User

    Oct 2006
    Perth
    3,299

    The hospital I stayed at Day 1 was if you had your bub in the morning before midday. If it was after midday, then that was day 0 and day 1 was the next day.

    I stayed 7 days after my c/s. Was good to go after 5 but I wanted to lap up the luxury

  8. #8
    Registered User

    Apr 2008
    Sydney,NSW.
    480

    I went home on day three,but the hospital did recommend staying for five days if it was your first c-section,but I asked my Doctor to let me home as I also hate hospitals,but had help waiting for me at home,Dh and mother in law!.........

  9. #9
    2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

    May 2007
    Brisbane
    5,310

    I had the c/s tuesday arvo/evening and was home friday arvo, though I reckon I could have gone home on thursday I had some bleeding during surgery and Jazz had jaundice that they wanted to watch. It depends on how you are feeling too, I was itching to get home but they said that 4-5 days was average. Had midwives visit us at home too. I had Shel home as well, I would have stayed as long as possible if I didn't have Shel home.

    Oh and Jazz was born 5.16pm, and was counted as day 0, the next day was day one, so we left on day 3.

  10. #10
    lila Guest

    one week

    4 days

    48 hours

  11. #11
    Registered User

    Jan 2008
    3,305

    How strange because I had one baby early AM and one early PM and both times it was day 0. Maybe it depends on the hospital?
    yeah maybe well i delivered in caboolture but i know in w.a they say the birthday is day 0 so strange hey

  12. #12
    Registered User

    Jun 2008
    946

    I think it depends what time of day your admitted.

  13. #13
    Registered User

    Feb 2004
    Melbourne
    11,171

    I dn't think it makes a difference Salsa. My DS was born at 1.27am & my DD was born at 12.06pm and both times the day they were born was day 0 and we stayed for three days after that.