Thread: Stopping Contractions after C section

Default Stopping Contractions after C section

I have heard that when you have a Csect, you are given a needle to stop the uterus contracting after the operation. Does anyone know if this is this correct?

Ally could you be thinking of the injection they give you to make the uterus contract down faster to stop bleeding? I did have one of those.

I never had any injection. Maybe it's reserved for those who have "emergency" c sections ??

Kirsty77 Guest

Nope I never had it either. I was under the impression that once you had 'delivered' your uterus stopped by itself. My sister has had 3 c/s a mixture of planned and emergency and never had a needle for that.

Well my caesarean was not an emergency one. It appears that not everyone has the injection. I gave consent for it as I recall.

My c/s was an emergency. I was already on the syntocin (*shudder*) drip to get my labour going. Anyways I was told that they would keep it in to help the uterus contract after the c/s was finished. I had it put in at 1pm on the Saturday & it was removed either on the Sunday night or early Monday morning (Zander was born 1.30am Sunday).

I had an elective cs, and a few hours afterward i had extremely painful contractions after the op, and the nurse said it was my uterus contracting back down again. It was agony!

I have had 3 elective's, and never saw them give me any needle (although it would be quite easy for them to have given it as a routine just after the bubs was taken out without knowing it)

tiggy Guest

Usually, when you have a caesarean, you have an IV line. Generally, the synto will be put through the line, rather than give another needle. So, maybe that's why no one recalls getting a needle?

Tiggy, would i still have had these contraction pains if i had the synto put into my iv line? The contractions after my cs were so painful, so i am guessing i didnt have it. Not sure?

tiggy Guest

Unfortunately you can still get the afterbirth pains but if you had the synto, this should make them less severe. Sadly, some ladies get them worse than others. Sorry.

Thanks Tiggy You are a gem to have around here.

You can ask for pain relief for the afterbirth pains. I went through a drug free VBAC but due to the prior c/s and a big bub I had killer afterpains (seriously worse than labour LOL) and they gave me peth.

*hugs*
    Cailin