thread: Anyone drive a Patrol?

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

Anyone drive a Patrol?

DH & I are on the lookout for a new car. We've had 4WD's in the past as we love camping and "bush-bashing", but sold our last one when we moved here as there's really nowhere to use one. Then went to a sedan, which didn't suit us so we moved to a wagon. Love it, it's got all the room we need (dog can go in the back and kids when they come along won't be bothered by him lol).

But now we're thinking we really miss the camping and just being able to take off whenever, so we're thinking of getting a Patrol. It needs to be tougher than something like a Captiva, we like to do some pretty rough 4WDing. Price-wise, this seems like a good deal, as we can get a really good one for about $30k, but would need to pay up to $10k more for the same type of thing in a Prado.

The thing is, I'll be the one driving it most of the time, and I'm a bit nervous about the size of it. So I'm just wondering, does anyone here have one? What are the pros & cons? Would you recommend it, or is there something else we should be considering?

TIA

Jun 2010
    qld

We have a GU DX 3ltr turbo diesel, its a 4cyl so rego isn't as dear as the 6cyl 4.2ltr td. We only have the base model tho (not the ST), which i have no probs with i would have liked to have power windows but get by with just opening up the doors after being parked in the sun at the shops. We originally wanted the st 4.2ltr but was about $10,000 dearer, that model has elect windows, 7 seats and prob a few more extras. But found that the 3.0ltr had just as much grunt so were happy to go the cheaper model. We also bought some rear seats and mountings and put them in so its now a 7 seater which is great. No downsides for me, visability is good and it definately is great being up high!! gl

P.s: the 3ltr also comes in the ST as well
    Last edited by flossy17; August 23rd, 2010 at 06:23 PM. : forgot some info

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

Thanks Flossy We're looking at the 3ltr turbo diesel too, GU III or IV. Currently tossing up between an ST and an STL. Not sure we need the extra luxury of the STL, but for only $2k more there are a lot of bonuses!

Good to hear there are no downsides though!

Add Rach75 on Facebook

Oct 2005
    Moura, QLD, Australia

we sold ours in 07 and man I miss it I loved driving her she was a manual and the best car by far...\
    ETA ours was brand new when we bought her a 02 model ST

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Mar 2008
    Vic

I learned to drive in a Patrol, whopping thing that it was!

My parents had, I think, about 7 over the years. The cars never let them down. Two were second hand, the rest were new. And fun fact - our friends had a landcruiser and it got bogged while trying to put a boat into a lake. Another Landcruiser tried to get it out, no chance. The Patrol pulled the Landcruiser and boat back out of the water, no sweat!

Feb 2008
    Near the Snowies!

We have one, not sure what year model etc it is but it's a manual turbo diesel with auto windows i don't drive it that much, I rarely drive at all these days. It is big, but if you're driving it regularly it won't take long to get used to it. I think the only thing DF doesn't like (he uses it more than me) is the double back doors, rather than the singular back door like the Prado's and other 4wd's have. It can be a pain having to open/close both doors, but again I guess you would get used to it. Was great when we first got it, we did a road trip with DD who was a few months old and put our dog in the very back. Managed to squish the pram alongside him and stuffed all our luggage/DD's stuff in still with a bit of room to spare. No way would it have all fit in our commodore! Lol

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

Thanks guys! SS Storm, that's exactly what we need it for - dog & luggage stuff in the 'boot'. And I don't like the doors either, but it's something I suppose I'll put up with. I'd really like a back door that opens upwards - I don't like the idea of having it open out the back when loading in shopping - if there's a car behind it'll get in the way, or if we're in a parking lot it'll poke out onto the road part. As long as that's the only bad thing though I'm happy!

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

I have just pm'd you!

Jun 2010
    Tiny Town

Thanks Netix! We had a mechanic friend of ours check out the one we're looking at tomorrow, and he was very impressed. If we don't get it I'll definitely look up your DH!

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Okay. It is really good to be able to trust your mechanic. Even if you have any questions down the track, feel free to contact!