Thread: Centrelink and study

Default Centrelink and study

If you are receiving a PPP are you eligible for concessions if you choose to study? If so, does anyone know what sort of concession you receive?

I've just done the estimator on the c/l website and if their estimate is right - i'm finacially better off not going back to work however i'd like to go back to study. So even after paying CC fees, i'm still better off (i think anyway- depending on how much the course is LOL)

It will vary between institutions - I have seen some people have course fees reduced from $1600 to $100 upon presentation of a health care or pension concession card...then other people who have had no discount at all - your best bet is to contact the place you want to study at and ask

Quote Originally Posted by eutra_phalia View Post
    It will vary between institutions - I have seen some people have course fees reduced from $1600 to $100 upon presentation of a health care or pension concession card...then other people who have had no discount at all - your best bet is to contact the place you want to study at and ask
    yeah THAT!

If you recieve an income support payemnt, which PPP is, when you go back to study you may also be elgibile for JET (jobs, education, training) assistance. I wish I had known about it before i worked in childcare.

If you are eligible you only contribute 10c per hour to childcare.

Yes I was going to mention JET too - I have a parent who is on JET and has her children in two days per week for two children all she pays is $4.40 - all together, for the whole week!!

JET only goes for 13 weeks I think.

I think 13 weeks is special CCB.

Not sure the dates on JET but i have families on it for 10-12 months periods. The person I took over from told me you could use it for two years of study but it depends on your eligibility and what you are approved for. It is one that you would have to arrnage a meeting for.

Jet is assessed with an end date, however it can easily be extended - also it can be withdrawn at any time too.

Thanks girls. Anyone know anything about elibility for JET - can you ONLY get it if you are on a PP? Can you get it in any other way?

JET depends on the course of study and how long it goes for. it is approved on a case by case basis
    it's also available for parents who've been out of the workforce long term to use for the first couple of months back at work (again, on a case by case basis)

I'm trying to wade through the JET thing now. I'm really stuck in a grey area because I need childcare for DD whilst I homeschool DS. It is impossible to do this with her here. I've tried to argue that it comes under "getting ready to go back to work" (or whatever the last criteria is) because I CANNOT work until DS is ready for school.

I was told by one CC that they have a lady there on the 'special' rate of payment because she is having trouble coping with a few little ones at a time, and they thought that my circumstances should be considered fairly similar. Homeschooling DS is not a lifestyle choice for me and I'm buggered cos I can't work but I'm not studying or job training so Im fracked I think..

ooh I should also mention if you are on a pension (parenting payment single, carers payment, DSP) and studying you may be eligible for Pensioner Education Supplement - for full time study it's an additional $62.40 p/fortnight