Thread: child support and FTB question

Default child support and FTB question

i just realised that my ftb payment has dropped and has since january. went and checked online and both FTB a & B and rent assistance have dropped. i did get a new csa assessment in nov/dec as his amount went up. ive always been on min assessment so would the amount CS went up make my FTB a&b and rent assistance go down??

Quote Originally Posted by ~CrazyMumOf3~ View Post
    i just realised that my ftb payment has dropped and has since january. went and checked online and both FTB a & B and rent assistance have dropped. i did get a new csa assessment in nov/dec as his amount went up. ive always been on min assessment so would the amount CS went up make my FTB a&b and rent assistance go down??
    highly likely this is exactly what happened

c'link/fao have a system in place where, if your CS assessment goes up and you're likely to be overpaid, it will drop the amount of ftb you get. firstly, it will drop it by the amount you're supposed to be impacted (so if it's 30 a fortnight, that's what it drops by) - it will then look at your CS amount as an ANNUAL amount, and if there are amounts you have been overpaid in the early part of the year, it will adjust your remaining payments to stop you getting a debt at the end of the year

hope that explains it

BG

its dropped by under $20 a month(nothing major but just found it strange as ive had no letter from c/link stating it was dropped). My cs amount has gone up by about $140 a month(not that i see a cent of it anyway). i didnt think it took from part B of my FTB??

i feel silly asking but ive never gotten anything more then min amount so its all new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ~CrazyMumOf3~ View Post
    its dropped by under $20 a month(nothing major but just found it strange as ive had no letter from c/link stating it was dropped). My cs amount has gone up by about $140 a month(not that i see a cent of it anyway). i didnt think it took from part B of my FTB??

i feel silly asking but ive never gotten anything more then min amount so its all new to me.
    if the system deems you've been overpaid, it will take small amounts from each of your ftb payments (a, b and RA) to stop the overpayment at the end of the year. if you dont' get your CS and are registered as CSA collect, you'll get anything that has been deducted at tax time

ok cool. Im registered for CSA to collect. i suppose then if by the off chance he does eventually pay ill end up with a debt with c/link??

Technically ill be underpaid FTB as ive over estimated DF's income by $20K

ah its all too confusing for my pregnant brain.

thanks for getting back to me though.

the only way you'd end up with a debt is if he paid ALL he's owing for the year plus more - which sounds rather unlikely

they'd then take any over payment out of what you are entitled to get topped up from over estimating DP's income

then from your supplements (the 600 per child) and only after all of what would you end up with a debt

so that would mean your ex would have to pay you MASSES of money for it to happen!

Shalou Guest

Hi, my centrelink money used to go up and down all the time depending on how much CSA I was paid each month. At the end of the financial year you'll receive any additional money your owed from Centrelink based on the print out they send to centrelink stating how much CSA you received that financial year. This is what happened to me. I didn't mind so much though because I always got a reasonable sum of money at tax time from centrelink.