Thread: Group Certificate? C'Link & Tax Question...

Default Group Certificate? C'Link & Tax Question...

I had my sister living with me for 6 or so months last financial year and we received some money from Clink for her...do i have to wait for Clink to send me a group certificate with regards to that money before i do my tax return? Not sure how it all works!

AND will i be able to claim her school uniform costs etc?

Edit: Also, DP & I have shared care with his ex of DSD, C'link pays me for her as DP & I are defacto & i was already active with Clink so they suggested we do it that way, so do i put her as a dependent on my tax return or should DP & I do a joint tax return? Oh its all so confusing!

bumppppp

Hi, I am guessing the payment that you received for your sister was family tax benefit. If that was the payment there will be no group certificate as it is a non taxable payment. You are not able to claim school uniforms but you can claim text books, home internet connections, computer software etc. I am unsure about who should claim the dependant, but I am sure someone will have some knowledge.

^^ what Kylie1978 said - FTB is non-taxable, if it was this that you claimed, you don't need / won't get a group cert. If it was Parenting Payment you will.
    And no, you can't claim uniforms (bugger ) but you can claim stationery, computer stuff etc.
    I *think* either of you can claim the dependant, as long as it's only one of you. Our accountant usually puts it on the tax return of whoever will benefit most, ITMS (we lodge seperately but get them done at the same time).
    I'm really not 100% sure though - hopefully someone else will know.

Having worked in Admin for an Accountant for f10+ years, my suggestion would be to consult your Accountant. The ATO have a habit of cracking down on tiny mistakes & letting huge ones ride!! Unfortunately I don't know the answer for you & would hate to give you the wrong advice.

if the only payment you received was FTB, there is no group certificate/payment summary. if you got anything else for her (parenting payment) then there will be one

Thanks ladies!!!