Thread: For those that claim child tax benefits at end of year...

Default For those that claim child tax benefits at end of year...

Because we are self employed, we decided to claim our child tax stuff at the end of the year rather than receive it as a fortnightly payment because we're not sure what we will earn and we don't want to pay anything back.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew whether:
    1. The first K Rudd bonus- the one for each child you have and which is dependant on qualifying for FTB A (or maybe B??)- we obviously didn't get that because it won't be known until the end of the fin year whether we so qualify. Does anyone know if we still get this?
    2. DS has just gone into care one day a week. Again, we will claim back everything at the end of the year. Is that the right way to do it? I just feel like maybe we're missing out by not claiming throughout the year!!

If you're entitled to it, you'll receive it. Whether that's by getting fortnightly payments or as a lump sum at the end of the year you will get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    If you're entitled to it, you'll receive it. Whether that's by getting fortnightly payments or as a lump sum at the end of the year you will get it.
    exactly!

it doesn't matter HOW you claim it - you'll still get all of your entitlements

Thanks. I know I'm being silly! I just dread trying to chase it up at the end of the year if I need to! But they should get it all right!

I thought child care stuff you have to let centrelink know in advance that you will be claiming it from a certain date.. coz they won't back date it? And then they automatically pay you quarterly? That's what I was told when I rang when DS started at his first preschool.

And yep - I'm expecting my $2k for the kids (K Rudd's december payment) when we do our tax for this year.

ETA: just looked at the familyassist site... and yep you can claim child care tax rebate annually... geez... I always get told a different thing on the phone. All they told me was I had to give a date he was starting and it couldn't be earlier than the day I was applying for it coz it can't be backdated.. and told we'd be quarterly.. never told it could be annual?? pfft.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I thought child care stuff you have to let centrelink know in advance that you will be claiming it from a certain date.. coz they won't back date it? And then they automatically pay you quarterly? That's what I was told when I rang when DS started at his first preschool.

All they told me was I had to give a date he was starting and it couldn't be earlier than the day I was applying for it coz it can't be backdated.. and told we'd be quarterly.. never told it could be annual?? pfft.
    child care benefit will always be paid for all the time you attend - what won't happen if you notify after starting, is that centrelink will not pay more than 4 weeks in arrears to the child care centre - so if you start child care jan 1 but don't notify til april 1, you won't get back paid until tax time as there is no provision to back pay that amount of time to the child care centre. you pay full fees, and just start getting reduced fees from April 1. in these circs, your tax rebate would also only apply from the date you notified so as to ensure you don't get overpaid.

if however you start on Jan 1 and notify by Jan 28, the provisions are there to back pay to the child care centre the full four weeks

you are definitely able to claim anything at tax time - this is mostly of benefit for those who, like Amber, aren't sure of their income as they have variable incomes.

there are no penalties for claiming at the end of the financial year - you just have to wait until you've both done your taxes. you need to do that within 24 months or you forfeit all entitlements you haven't already claimed. you will need to fill in two forms for c'link - one with the lump sum claim for ftb, one with the lump sum claim for child care - these two forms will apply for all of your entitlements