Thread: wages, family assistance and super

Default wages, family assistance and super

My husband has been offered a job which means moving to sydney (from nz). he has been offered $70k plus super. since we arent living in aussie right now i cant register on centrelink to find out how much help we may be able to get, is anyone able to give us a rough estimate? we wont be applying for assistance unless we really need it but it would still be good to know. bringing 2 babies to another country is pretty scary at the best of times and we dont have enough money to come back if it doesnt work out. also is super taken out of the $70k so essentially being 60 something instead? sorry for all the questions im so confused

My understanding is that you can't apply for Centrelink unless you've lived here for two years or are an Australian citizen or considered a permanent resident?
    You can claim Family Tax Bnefit though I think?

No advice on super though, sorry! I do know employers make contributions but that doesn't come out of the wage, it is on top of the wage.

yea. whatever the thing that is part a & b but thats it. cos we are kiwis we are counted as residents for those things just not all the childcare, disability, sickness etc.. which is totally fine. i actually feel really bad even thinking about getting assistance seeing as its not our country :S

you can still run an estimate of your entitlement - go to centrelink.gov.au, in the search box, type in "estimator", then run the family assistance estimator. you'll be able to put in different scenarios (so taking into account part year on AU wages, part on NZ, then an approx of a full year in AU from next fin year) and see what you'll get.

with the super, ask them for an explanation. some packages are 70+super, others are 70 including super. most roles offer super of 9% although some are higher than that

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    with the super, ask them for an explanation. some packages are 70+super, others are 70 including super. most roles offer super of 9% although some are higher than that
    ok cool. ill get him to ask. we werent sure if it was a generic thing or not.

i know you family assistance program is WAY better than ours but by putting in his salary for the 4 months of this financial year and the next 8 months of his aus salary it reckons we get about $192 a week. surely this isnt right aye? that seems absolutely completely and totally ludicrous to me.

Is that $192 a week or a fortnight?

a week. it gave me a fortnightly total but i devided it by 2 cos thats how i work everything out

if you have 3 kids, you have no income, and you will be paying rent, yup, 360 a fortnight sounds about right to be honest

over here his income is $48000, our mortgage is $559 a week and we get $100 a week in family assistance. you can understand why this blows my mind. we only have 2 kids

on 70k with two kids and you on nil income
    you will get around 51 per kidlet (minimum) a fortnight
    with you having no income, depending on how old your youngest is (i'm assuming under 5) you'll get another 138
    so that's 240 a fn
    if you add rent into the mix, you'll get more ftba and some rent assistance

not sure if the 190 a week is accurate without running the estimator myself, but i'd be thinking at least 120 a week if no rentt, more if you're renting