Thread: Another thermometer question!

amben Guest

Default Another thermometer question!

Hi Ladies,

I got my BBT thermometer on Friday and I was testing it over the weekend and had planned to start charting my temps from this morning. Anyway my question is how long so your thermometers take to do the reading?? the instructions say it should be 60-90 seconds but it seemd to be taking ages so i times it and it was about 4 minutes!! Is that typical or is my thermometer faulty??

As it turns out I didnt get to temp this morning because I woke up twice within the 2 hourse before my alarm went off and I think you are supposed to take it after 3 hours of sleep aren't you??

Hi Amben. My BBT thermometer beeps when it's done and it usually takes 2-3 minutes to finish.

Hi mine also beeps when it's done - but i have another that stops flashing when it's finished.

amben Guest

Yeah this one beeps but i was just worried it was taking to long, i guess I will get used to it and it won't seem so long, least I will get 4 extra minutes in bed!!

Does you body temperature go up or down once you start moving around??

I think your temperature goes up when you start moving around - my BBT has been in the low 36's, and then I forgot to temp the other morning so took my temp about 3 hours after being awake and it was 37.5

And yeah, I love those extra few minutes in bed - I've been so tired that I rest the thermometer on my pillow too

I had to giggle about the thermometer flashing when it has finished temping. I'd miss that for sure - I temp vaginally!

I've got my temping routine down pat now. The alarm goes off and I hit the snooze button, I grab the thermometer from the bedside table, hold it near my ear and press the button so that it beeps, then insert it. Doze until I hear the beeps, pull it out and put it on the bedside table. When it is time to get up, I check the reading and then do the necessary cleaning/disinfecting and then put the thermometer back on the bedside table. I find the routine almost comforting now and feel most "out of sorts" when AF is here and I don't temp.

Lisa

I love my new thermometer, it beeps when it's finished, and it only takes about 20 seconds (despite the instructions saying it would take at least 1 min)! I got it from lullaby conceptions. It's a good thing it beeps, because otherwise I would fall asleep with it in my mouth!

Dont worry too much if you wake up in the few hours before your due to take your temp, as long as you go back to sleep and dont get up at all.
    A small change (if any) in temp that may result is not going to make any difference, remember BBT charting is all about looking at the overal picture of your charts, not every little temperature.
    If you really want you can always write a little note on your chart on that day to say that you woke up early then went back to sleep...

For the record, my thermometer beeps to, probably takes a minute I think although im sure some days it seems to take longer than others! that might be just because it is 5:45am and im still half asleap!

DOnt forget to stick it in the same place in your mouth every time... (if you do it orally obviously!) I have been told just under the tounge against that bit that 'holds' your tounge down (im sure it has a name!) is the best because your tounge has heat spots under it.

amben Guest

Thanks for the information girls. It looks as though I won't get to use it yet though!!!

Oh well it's not a total waste of money a thermometer always comes in handy around the house!!

Oh congrats Amben! Wishing you a H & H pregnancy!