Thread: Best time to temp

Default Best time to temp

Morning all,

First time doing this so just have a quick question on temping - When is the best time to take your temp? Is it as soon as you wake up? Because I have been doing it first time I get up in the morning and my temp is quite high (36.7 & 36.8) or are the temps normal? I get quite hot while I sleep at night, would this have any affect on getting a good temp?

Also, I think I am going to be having inconsistant times when temping. During the week I get up at 5.30am and on the weekends I get up around 7.00am. Is this going to cause my data to be inaccurate?

Thanking you all for you help in advance!

im not a pro on temping cuz i have just started myself but i know in the morning is the best time when you wake and you need to have at 3 hours of solid sleep before you temp, which can sometimes be hard im sure, and im pretty sure you need to take your temp at the same time each morning. hope i was of some help

Thanks for your answer renee84

I think I will start trying to temp at the same time each day. I usually wake up around 5.30am on weekends during the summer anyways (Sun shines right in to the bedroom!) So it could mean to last 2 temps I did where wrong because I was not fully asleep before I got up, just dosing I guess.

Thanks again

Ngala
    If you wake at 5.30am on weekdays then I would be setting the alarm for 5.30am on weekends as well. It is important to try and take your temp at the same time everyday if at all possible. Otherwise you get a yo-yo effect and it makes it really hard to track what is happening.

I got into the habit of taking my temperature when I was 3/4s asleep after awhile. My thermometer beeped at me to take it out, and often I wouldn't even open my eyes but just chuck it on the bedside table and read it later on when I woke up properly.

That said, there are two phases of your cycle that you are going to want maximum accuracy - around ovulation and around the end of your cycle. In between you can slacken off.

Renee is also completely correct about the 3hours sleep thing. On my last cycle before I was sure I was getting AF because my temp dropped dramatically -- but I also had a terrible night sleep when I never got more than 3 hours consecutive sleep. In fact the low temp was an artefact of the broken sleep because 3 days later I got a BFP and my real temps were sky high.

Congrats on your BFP!! I hope to get that excitement for myself soon thats why I want to do things properly.

I have one of those thermometers that beep at you too and then the next time you turn it on it has the last temp still on it. So I will make sure that I set my alarm for the same time everyday. DP will probably think I am off my head tho checking my temp at 5.30am every morning! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ngala View Post
    DP will probably think I am off my head tho checking my temp at 5.30am every morning! LOL
    Mine did!

But it worked! And we were on IVF. I used to temp before starting IVF but gave it away. Then after several failed cycles my naturopath asked me to start temping again and first month BINGO!

Baby dust to you Ngala!

Well I tested my temp at 5.30 this morning and I got 36.5. I have set that has my default time now. Havent explained to DP what I am doing tho! And I dont think that he is keen enough to ask. hehe Nah he probably will when the alarm goes off at 5.30 Saturday morning!

I dont know how accurate the temp will be tho because I woke up at 4.30 and then went to sleep again until 5.30. But I didnt get out of bed or anything. Would something like that still affect the accuracy of a temp?

It should be ok Veronica, but tomorrow will tell.
    goodluck temping.