Thread: Checking CM

Fee Guest

Default Checking CM

Did anyone else have trouble checking CM when starting charting? I'm finding it hard to choose which type of CM it is and it's driving me nuts. I guess I've never really taken much notice of my CM before.

I've read all the info on FF. I guess I'll just have to keep at it and after a while I'll understand it a bit better?

Yeah i find it a bit hard too Fee. I suppose it is just one of those things that just take practise. I'm just getting used to feeling my cervix and I've nearly got it down pat after 1 cycle.

Sal Guest

Fee, it does take a number of cycles to get a grip on what is going on down there. At first I only recognised EWCM (quite unmistakable really) and the thick sticky infertile CM. After a while you start to notice that the infertile stuff is thinning out and getting slippery (a bit blerk but the analogy to hand lotion is a good one) and then you can start to tell the beginning of spinn CM. After 3+ years, even with a screwy cycle like mine (I have PCOS and am irregular) I could always tell when I was fertile plus when I had O'd, which was great to know when AF was due.

I have anatomy such that my fingers are too short to feel my cervix, so I never could try that! I found that CM alone was enough info for me, but I guess the more info the better.

Fee

Take a look at THIS article as it might help you work out what your different cm types are.

Hope this helps!!

I definitely think that the article Kelly has done that Kelli D has pointed to is much more clearer in it's explanation. I even commented to Kelly when she had done it "why didn't you write this when I was TTC" cause I too found it all a bit confusing with FFs descriptions.

Love

Fee Guest

Thanks for the article. I'll have a read.

I thought yesterday I had EWCM but maybe it was "creamy" instead?! I have absolutely no idea!!!

I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Dave's Girl, I haven't tried feeling my cervix yet. Might have to give that a go too.

Fee

EWCM is really stretchy - more often than not it is clear and just like egg whites. You should be able to stretch it between finger and thumb easily.

Maybe grab an egg and have a play with the egg white to get an idea of what to look for??

Seeya

jess127 Guest

oh some good info too, i had a look at that article. very helpful

Fee i'm too get used to doing this... and prob because i haven't taken much notice before...

i suppose i'll get it sorted in time...

Fee, I am also learning the difference between each of them. I do notice it change but couldn't tell you which is which.

I think we are just going to increase our BDing around the time the mucus starts to increase down there and see what happens.

I have never paid much attention to workings on down there (mucus wise) but it is amazing what happens when you do take notice.

Mother nature is a fascinating thing!!

Fee Guest

Yes it is fascinating – I agree!

TracyD Guest

Hi! I have a question also regarding the cervical mucus. I don't really know now how to judge my CM, but I specifically remember seeing the EWCM several years ago (before Depo shot). Does anyone know how being on BCPs affects your CM. I know I won't O, but will I have the other CM signs? Also, if I definitely had regular CM patterns before going on the Depo (6 years ago), will I get them again once AF comes back? I haven't started charting yet because I haven't had a cycle, so I don't know when CD1 would be. Hopefully AF comes on time and I will start charting then.

I thought one of the ways Depo works is to make the mucous more hostile to sperm. I don't know how long it is meant to take for it to be more like EWCM. Prolly varies a lot for everyone.

Fee Guest

I was thinking that what I've been recording as EWCM is not really EWCM. Surely I can't have this much of it?!?! It's been like a week now.