Thread: Cold weather affecting temps?

Default Cold weather affecting temps?

Hi - just have a quick question;
    Do you think the cold weather can affect your temps? This morning it was minus 7 degrees in my bedroom and I was shivering - could this affect my BBT?

Thanks

Hi Tess.

I have asked this same Q before, as my bedroom gets bitterly cold in winter, i did get a lot of feedback that said yes it can affect your temps, but not too sure what to do about it, just rug up tight at night i suppose, sorry i could not be more help.

ooohh Tess...i'm so glad you asked this question....i was thinking exactly the same thing. Our house is absolutely freezing and no matter how much i rug up during the night, i always wake up soooo cold and this cycle my temps have been so low

Can't wait to hear of some solutions.....

I definitley think it can affect your temps. When I was temping I found my temps were a lot lower when it was cold in my bedroom.

Thank you all so much for your confirmation - my temps have been noticably lower when I wake up shivering. Problem is I am not sure if I have ovulated or not now as I cannot really see a biphasic pattern.

Last night my DH held me through the night and I woke up loverly and warm. My temps were quite high (36.13) but then I stayed in bed for another 30mins without the hugs and my temp had gone down to 35.91 - I could not believe the difference in such a short time span.

I guess the best thing to do is wear lots of clothes and blankets on the bed each night - problem is does nothing for the romance!!

Bring on the summer!!

Tess, do you use OPK's? if not why don't you give them a go and they will let you know for sure if you have ovulated or about to ovulate and then you can adjust your temps accordingly.

Goodluck!!!

Pebs Guest

I've been thinking about this too. This past month my temperatures have really dropped, I thought I O-ed, but because my temps drop so low FF says that I didnt - Would love to find out if room temperature plays a big part in your BBT temps!!
    Thanks for asking this question

Hi Michelle
    I have been using OPKs for about 2 wks - I have never had a true positive on one of them though. However the day before FF reckons I ovulated I did get a faint second line - no where near the control line so I discounted it. But maybe it was a positive????

Next cycle I will hopefully be in a house with heating in the bedrooms so will be able to keep the temperature more constant. I will keep charting and come back next cycle and let you all know if temps are affected by the room temperature!! (watch this space!)

Tess
    I have only ever got faint + line not as dark as the control but have counted them as positives but have checked CM as well.
    Hope you get some heating soon. AND no matter how unsexy it might be, im sticking with my flanette Pjs when its cold!

Thanks Sunny - after 2wks of getting negatives on the OPK I stopped as I was getting very despondant.

Decided next cycle I will be more positive - we will have our own house (with heating and carpet) and hopefully my PJs can stay in the drawer. I will make a note of the degree of faintness on the second line rather than just that it is not as dark as the control line.

Last night I put on warm PJs, left the radiator on next to the bed and had two blankets - woke up at 3am sweating. Hopefully my temp was more normal today?? It certainly was nicer getting out of bed - even if our pipes were still frozen and no water for a shower - grrr.

Will let you know how the temps go next cycle.

It would make sense that it would affect your temperatures. Same as if you sleep all night with the heater on, that will affect your temperatures...

Carys Guest

Fertility Friend lists change of room temperature and use of electric blanket as two of a few situations that can affect bbt.

Carys

One of the reasons I switched to vaginal temping was due to fluctuations in the temperatures around me. I noticed that even with hot or cold spells, my temps moved slightly but not as noticeably as when I used to temp orally.

Lisa

When I was temping before DS I found my temps would be much lower in winter but you can still see the pattern over the month