Thread: High Temps? Broken Thermometer?

Question High Temps? Broken Thermometer?

I just started temping last week and since starting I've had the same temp every morning 36.8. I have been taking my temp at the same time every morning and i always get the same temp. I thought that maybe my thermometer is broken. I shake it before i use it and it goes down a bit, but not much past 36.5. however when i use it, it always goes back to 36.8. Do you think that maybe my thermometer is broken? Should i get a new one? Or wait a few more days to see if there is any change? Is 36.8 high?

Thanks
    Bron

Can you test it? Put it into a glass of cool water and then warmer water and see if it changes much. I've only ever used digital thermometers...

I only thought of it yesterday morning on my way to work. Its surprising what you think about while driving for an hour to get to work.

When I got home last night i put the thermometer in a glass of cold water and it didn't drop below 36.5. It goes up when i use it, but not below that. So i'm thinking i'll be buying a new one today. I'm might go all out and buy a digital one too.

Thanks

Whilst it isn't necessary, but is VERY useful, see if you can get a digital BASAL thermometer. They make charting a tad easier because of the second decimal place reading.

I love my thermometer (well, I don't really but I'm sure you get the drift). I don't even turn the light on when I temp any more. Alarm goes off, I grab my thermometer from the bedside table. Hit the on button and listen for the beep, then pop it in and doze until it beeps again then get it out and plonk it on the bedside table again and if the house is quiet...doze again. When I get up, I switch it on, check the reading, do the necessary cleaning (I temp vaginally) and then put it back on the bedside table and trundle off to enter my numbers at FF. Almost too easy!!

that sounds so good. I'm going to sneak up to the chemist at lunch. Just have to sneak it back into the office when i come back. Good thing its winter, no one will notice under the bulky clothes!

You can get some good digital BBT and they have the two decimal points so your chart looks more interesting. Also they are a lot quicker and they store your temp so you don't have to check it straight away.

Defaintly get one with 2 decimal places, in my first month charting i just used my normal one decimal place and had all these flat line temps for days, but my temp was actually moving. This month just gone if only using a one decimal place I would have been getting 36.6, 36.6, 36. 6 when my temp was actually 36.64, 36.69, 36.65 etc as i had a 2 decimal place.

You can buy them online too.

Bron, I got a basal digi one last week and it's really easy to use and read. The changes in my temp have almost all been very minor and I would have missed the changes altogether if I had that extra decimal point.

For my first ever chart at FF, I was using a mercury fever thermometer. My chart was a dogs' breakfast. Next chart I started temping vaginally AND using a digital BBT thermometer and the difference in just reading the chart is astounding. It truly does make a difference. Many will say that it doesn't but when you consider that even a shift of 0.03 is recognised by the software, entering temps without decimal places really doesn't make much sense to me!

Lisa

Well I got my new thermometer last night. Took my temp this morning. 36.83, so now things might start looking a bit better on FF.

Thanks for help girls!

Very welcome! Good luck!!!

Lisa