Thread: Late Ovulation

Default Late Ovulation

Just wanted an opinion in regards ovulating late. How often should i test using OPK if i have no clue when im due to ovulate? Just on the day that i get EWCM? Im not a big fan of checking CM. Did it at the beginning of the cycle and kind of over it. Does this also mean that i should be BD every second day till i am guaranteed to have ovulated? We have slacked off a bit because FF told me that i ovulated at CD25 but now the coverline is gone! Any suggestions from late ovulators?

clare076 Guest

Most people use OPK every day from about CD10, but those lucky people know a rough idea of when they are going to ovulate. I have had a look at your chart, and I am by no means an expert but I have to agree with FF, in that you have not ovulated yet.

So saying that you have definately not missed your chance this month, maybe start bding every 2 days now just to be sure. I have never used OPK (I spend enough money on HPT's), nor do I check my CM as such. (Without TMI I sort of know when I get EWCM without having to "check"). Just be careful only bding until you see EWCM as some women get confused with this and semen, and also you may get several patches of fertile mucous in one cycle. We usually start bding 2nd daily around CD 10 and continue until after I see a thermal shift.

Do you normally have regular cycles? This one seems a bit longer than your last one, I am wondering whether this is an anovulation cycle. (sorry)
    Last edited by clare076; October 27th, 2006 at 06:40 PM.

Hi walking art.... First thing i would be doing is getting a Basal Body thermometer... Then i would get a heap of OPKs from lullaby conceptions they have packages and stuff.. I would start opking from about day 12 until you get a positive.. That was my plan had not gotten pg this cycle as i also have wacko cycles 42, 37, 42 and 32 day cycles and dr said this cycle would have been 31... So they say opk earliest as possible.. Also maybe start bding from day 12 every second night thats what we did until ff said i had oed then i had had enough.. hehehe...

for a BIG very soon.....

Maybe you could temp each day and BD lots, and see when your chart thinks you've ovulated. Then maybe if you do not get pregnant this cycle, you could use it as an possible rough indication of when you O, and next cycle start using OPKs around that time.
    Probably a dumb idea, but thats probably what I'd do.

Another question regarding late ovulation. Seeing as though my chart doesnt show me as having ovulated last cycle, how do i know where i am at with this cycle? In my mind should i start CD36 as CD 1 and start a new cycle in my head that way? I normally get AF on CD36. I am a little lost at the moment.

Has af arrived????? If it has start it from that day only... Then i would start opking from day 12 everyday from then onwards until you get a +ve... But i would also bd every second night or so from day 12 as well just incase you dont get a +ve opk they sometimes dont work for all women.. I never got one... Good luck..

I'd just keep temping until you get AF. Ovulation could still be coming, or this might be an anovulatory cycle for you, but there is no way to know if you're done really, until AF shows up. As far as checking CM goes, I find I have EWCM in patches throughout my cycle, and it's not such a great indicator of ovulation for me. However, I don't find it difficult to check, just look at the TP after you uses the toilet.
    I'd say just keep BDing, and just count it as a bonus. It seems like so many of those who are TTC count BDing as a chore, and I don't understand that! Have fun!
    Hope you get things sorted out soon!

Walking Art,
    I agree with the opk's. It really is a simple way of tracking your fertility. If you have the lifestyle that supports temping (I don't so it just is a waste of time for me) then this is wonderful.
    I would test from cd12 at the same time each day - 2pm is thought to be an optimal time. It can take a while to get the swing of opk's some people (me!) have some trouble getting a true positive. However, I think I have got it down pat now (after 12 months!). I know when I get a second line that the ovaries are starting to do their thing and I begin to get jiggy with it!

Try to have fun at the same time - I know we can get caught up in the mechanics of it but try to remember the love we feel for our partners and from that love a little baby will grow soon...