Thread: Ovulation/BBT Kit and irregular period

Question Ovulation/BBT Kit and irregular period

Hello all,

I'm newbie here, and I have no idea when to test ovulation kit and have effective conception. We protected our conception for many years and we just had unprotected conception on Jun 30 & Jul 1, 2010.

Due to our work that we have to travel in the unsafe/risk areas/countries (advised to take anti-malaria pills, we thought of having a stop of TTC since Jul 1, 2010, but we want to TTC again after we leave those risk countries (we were advised to take anti-malaria pills for the next 3-7 days after leaving).

We want to adopt the method of having baby girl by using ovulation kit and basal thermometer, and we want to make it work to be due on my husband's Birthday next year(Apr 2011). I am 27 years old and have had irregular period.I have never had any regular contraceptive pills as we have been always protecting it, but I took urgent contraceptive pills(2 pills a day) for 6 days on May2-7,2010 then stopped since that. The below are my past period cycles;

1-6 Nov,09
    11-16 Dec,09
    25-30 Jan,10
    20 Feb-11 Mar,10
    4-10 Apr,10
    23-29 Apr,10
    11-16 May,10
    4-26 Jun,10
    26 Jul- now (would probably finish by 31Jul)

1) Could you please tell me when is my period cycle? Which date is the day 1 of my first period?

2)Due to our travels in risk areas/countries, we want to know if it is safe to conceive right away after we leave those countries and after we finish taking the anti-malaria pills? (3-7 days taking pills still after leaving the risk countries). If we have to wait for TTC while I have to let the anti-malaria pills gone from the body first in order to avoid birth defect/miscarriage then how long should I wait for?

3)Is it true that the early detection pregnancy test & pregnancy test should be tested in the first morning after waking up(no food/drink is allowed)while the basal thermometer and ovulation kit should be tested in the afternoon(2pm)which will give me more accurate positive result for TTC?

4)According to ovulation kit, BBT and my irregular period, when should I detect/test with the BBT? Do I have to use BBT every day even during my period?

5) To use BBT and ovulation chart, does it mean I have to wait for my next period cycle to chart it on the first day of my period starts? Can I chart it after I finish this period cycle? (I'm receiving BBT in few days).

I highly appreciate your helps.

OK, lots of questions. I'll answer what I can.

I did find some information on the anti-malaria medications, and it says that you should NOT use Mefloquine hydrochloride or Pyrimethamine/Sulphadoxine if you are or are trying to get pregnant. It suggests Chloroquine or Artemisinin (the first is prefered) if you are or are trying to get pregnant. BUT ASK YOUR DOCTOR OR PHARMACIST FIRST AND FOR FULL INFORMATION!!!

You likely won't be able to have a baby for your husband's birthday, but maybe soon after if you conceive quickly. It takes most couples a few months to a year to conceive.

The best way to know when you can conceive is to watch your cervical mucous and take your BBT each morning. For the BBT, you take it first thing in the morning AS SOON AS YOU WAKE UP - don't get up, don't use the bathroom, just take your temperature. Keep a daily record of your temperature. Your temperature will go up the day after you ovulate. You want to have sex the day you ovulate and the few days before to have the best chance of becoming pregnant. Your cervical mucous (CM) will be able to let you know when you are becoming fertile as well. Right after your period (AF), the CM is usually dry and clumpy. As you get closer to your ovulation and become fertile, the CM will start to get creamy and wet. When you are fertile and have a much better chance of becoming pregnant your CM will feel a lot like raw egg white and look a lot like it too. So.. as much as you can when your CM is wet and like raw egg white (EWCM). Your BBT will go UP after you ovulate, and likely your AF will be about 14 days after you ovulate. If you don't have AF three weeks after you ovulate, do a pregnancy test and see if you are pregnant!

With irregular periods, you might not be ovulating either. So after 6 months if you are not pregnant, talk with your doctor about what might be happening - she can help you find out what you may need to become pregnant.

Start your charting now, and have your chart's day 1 be the first day of your period. Just go from here with the testing.

Try every 2-3 days for the next 2 weeks as well as taking your temperature every morning first thing to see when you ovulate. And when your CM is like raw egg white (EWCM), use the ovulation prediction kit to see what it says. If it's positive, that day and the next couple days for sure, but at least every other day whenever you have EWCM. GOOD LUCK, and I hope you get that positive pregnancy test (BFP) soon!

ps - HPT (home pregnancy tests) should be done first thing in the morning as well as the BBT, but I don't know about the OPKs as I've not used them before. Look into the articles here on BB - they can help with all this too.
    Last edited by Buggzter; July 29th, 2010 at 02:07 AM.

Thank you so much for useful advice

What if I receive my BBT delivered late to me when I finish my period. Am I still able to chart BBT on the first day at that day even though after I finish my period or do I have to wait the first day of next period cycle to chart BBT?

Thank you

Absolutely! I started about 2 days before I ovulated this cycle, but I am able to see the rise. I just hope I WILL end up with a BFP.

The point of seeing you temperature change is to know when you ovulate. It looks on your cycle data that it should be around day 7-10 of your cycle, which isn't much. But at least you can start charting and get used to it.

While you are waiting, use just a normal thermometer for this cycle instead - That's what I'm doing this cycle. I'm going to use a BBT thermometer next month if I dont get my BFP, but the regular one is working fine for now.

Ah, I see. Thank you for that. I do not want to think of charting BBT when having period, it's kind of uncomfortable to do it. Well, that's part of the process anyway.

Thank you again

There are two ways of taking your BBT. You can temp vaginally, but that would be icky when AF is visiting... But I temp orally - I just check my temp in my mouth! Same can be done with a BBT thermometer. Just stick with the same way of checking for the whole cycle, you can change when the next cycle starts.

Wow, that sounds great! Thanks for your advice