Thread: Question regarding temp timing

Default Question regarding temp timing

Hi,

Most days I take my temp at around 6.30am, however this month I have been very busy and my DD has been waking me up early and then she goes back to bed and so do I. Here is the issue: I take my temp at 5.30am (when woken) and it is 35.8 and then I go back to bed and retake temp at 7.30am and it is 36.7!!!!! Also previous to the 5.30am temp I did get up at 4am as well.

The above thing has happened before to me as well and I really don't know which temp to record. My rule has been to us the temp after the most restful sleep.

Sorry to through this curve ball out there.

I think it is better to take your temp the first time you get up, and after at least 3 hours of sleeping. So probably would be better to use the first temp.

clare076 Guest

Well the rule of thumb is to take your temp at the same time every day or after 3 hours of restful sleep. Failing this they suggest you take your temp on waking (the first time) and record that into your chart.
    It usually doesn't effect your chart that much. If you are a member of FF, you can always record that you had disturbed sleep when you add your data.

Aaaah the joys of VIP membership on FF You can temp adjust if you have VIP membership, so I did that for you & come out with an adjusted temp of 36.25

Thanks very much. I dont really understand what temp adjusting is though. Do I record my temp for that day as 36.25?

clare076 Guest

Yeah, If you use the temp adjuster you record 36.25. They do recommend you dont use the temp adjuster too often though, I am not sure exactly why.

OK Bek, what the adjuster does is this...

You enter in your normal wakeup time, the first temp & time then the 2nd temp and time. It then calculates an estimate of what the temp should have been at the normal wakeup time. As Clare said, you're not supposed to put too many adjusted temps in as it's not as accurate as temping at the same time.

Excellent thanks everyone

Debbie Lee Guest

Bek - for what it's worth, I have been just taking my temp when I wake up. So long as it's not 3am (I would hope I'd get another few hours sleep if I have to get up to Gabby at that time!), I just take my temp whenever. Usually it's within the same couple of hours (usually between 6-8am.... for some reason I wake at 6:20am most of the time!). My charts still seem to be working (I got an O time and a coverline last cycle without too much hassle). I know with little ones it's hard to get the temping exactly right because there's so many interruptions. I refuse to wake up to an alarm if I'm not working so I just do it when I wake. I'm just too selfish with my sleep these days, LOL. I know it's not the right thing to do but it's working for me!

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your point. I actually adopt that theory as well. I have gone with my orginal temp for that day and it seems that when compared with my other charts the patterns are similar. Also I have a better chance of getting preggers if I go by tthe temps I have used for this month...When I put in the adjusted temp my chart changed and said that I Oed on day 18 not day 21. However I looked at the last months chart and even though I Oed on day18 last month the pattern did not look right. So I decided to just use the first waking temp which seems more consistant.

I hope you got all that. Thanks for your help. Here is hoping for a conception this month. It would be very flukey. Today i am having mild af cramping and tender boobs but I don't know if this is all in my head