Thread: Questions (beginner here, so dont laugh!)

Default Questions (beginner here, so dont laugh!)

So we are going to start TTC (as you might have seen in my sig)
    Anyway, i think i might try charting. I am on the pill now, but prior to that have always had irregular cycles, so i wouldnt have the faintest when i'd be o-ing. (not that i'd know anyway, but an irregular cycle would just make it inconvenient to count days and stuff)

Any way, you all seem to take your temperature - is there any specific spot on your body i should be taking my temperture, or will any where do?

Should i get a special thermometer, or will a regular one do? I dont even think we hve one anyway, so regardless i am going to have to buy one.

What is the best time of day to read my temperature and record the CM and all that??

Possibly more questions on the way, but this is all i can think of right now. And sorry if i am the millionth person to ask these

Hi Karina!

I take my temp orally with a BBT or Basal Body Temp thermometer. It is specifically designed to be sensitive enough to detect the temperature shifts during ovulation. It also measures to 2 decimal places which the other digital ones don't do.
    The reason I got one of those is that I'd have a few days in a row of recording the same temp of, for eg 36.8 but with the BBT one there is the second decimal place so then it will show 36.86, 36.81, 36.80. So temp is dropping but with the other type I don't know that and wonder why my temps look flat.

Take your temp around the same time every morning as soon as you wake up, before you get out of bed or undertake any activity and make a note of your CM during the day and recored your observations at the end of the day as it can change.
    Best of luck!

Hi Karina,

There not stupid questions, we all had to start somewhere!
    The best time to take your temp is the first thing in the morning after atleast 3 hours sleep, before you even get out of bed to go to the loo!!
    you can buy a special Basal body thermometer from most chemists and that has a more higher sensitivty reading then regular ones for charting,
    I always take it orally, some people take it vaginally but personally i think thats a bit gross at AF time!!
    If you don't already, there is a great website which is called fertility friend that you can join for free and each day you record your temps and that will give you a coverline as to when you have ovulated, so you can get some idea as when you are!

Hope this has helped you some!!

Goodluck TTC

Shellstar76 :flower:

Excellent!

Thanks heaps!

Fee Guest

Is there any specific spot on your body i should be taking my temperture, or will any where do? I take mine orally and find this works fine.

Should i get a special thermometer, or will a regular one do? I bought a BBT thermometer which is specifically for fertililty charting. But it's only 1 decimal place. I thought it was 2 when I bought it but it wasn't!!! Anyway it seems to work fine for me.

What is the best time of day to read my temperature and record the CM and all that?? You need to take your temp when you awake - before you do anything else. And it needs to be the same time every day. Further, you need to do it after about 3 hours solid sleep. I take mine at 5.30 am every day. About CM - I just check it throughout the day, everytime I go to the toilet. Then I just record the most fertile type (if I've had more than one type).

All the best!

Karina you mentioned that you are on the Pill. There is no real point temping when you are on the pill anyway. Maybe you should think about stop taking it now and let your body get back into some kind of natural rythm first.

I am starting in 2 months time and have been off the pill for about 6 months.

I'm glad that there is someone else who has a few months to wait. \/ It is getting lonely because everyone seems to start trying before the dates they set. ](*,)

Come join us in the pre concepetion chatter thread

Thanks for the tips everyone! I wouldnt have really known if i was doing anything right, so you've all been very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by DGirl
    Karina you mentioned that you are on the Pill. There is no real point temping when you are on the pill anyway. Maybe you should think about stop taking it now and let your body get back into some kind of natural rythm first.
    Yes i am aware of this already. Pill cycle is not a real cycle, so theres no point recording temps and CM. I was talking about when i stop taking the pill which will be very soon , probably just finsh the current packet then that will be it But i am sort of dreading this as it means AF will come back with a vengence. ARGH! But hopefully it wont ttake long to conceive for us. How exciting!!

We wont be TTC before the date on my signiture. DH is very strict on this. He just wont start TTC before then, lol.

Karina that is very excited about going off the pill. I remember having all the same worries as you when I first stopped. I was worried about the back cramps and heavy flows etc but I feel sooooooo much better off the pill than I ever did on it. You will be fine. Just dose up on panadol at AF time

We too are hoping to concieve quickly. We are doing everything by the book so we are giving it our best shot.

Is there a significance of starting at that planned time?

Its very exciting. The time in my signiture is just the time that DH and i wanted. Actually i wanted now, but DH said no, "in 6 months" which was a couple months ago. I also started a new job recently, and i want to be there for a little while before i try to get pregnant, so i can qualify for maternity leave when we do get pregnant.

Pill = bad. Never started feeling yukky at AF time until i started the pill.