Thread: Short Luteal Phase could it be why I can't fall PG???? Help needed plz.

Unhappy Short Luteal Phase could it be why I can't fall PG???? Help needed plz.

Ok where to start sorry if this is long and dragging but I need to get it all down so you know where I am coming from. My DF and I have been TTC now for just on 2 years we had a MC in Early April this year and then a Chem. PG in August. Since I have started charting my temp ect after my MC I have noticed that I only have a 5-9day LP. I have a DR appointment this afternoon about this and right now I am so scared that she will tell me I can't have any more children, I have 1 5y.o DD from a previous r.ship. I am O'ing at what I think is pretty close to where I should O, on my 28 day cycle last month I o'd on CD16 but then only had a 9 day LP and AF arrived on CD26 so I went from a 28 day cycle to a 25 day cycle. Also while in my LP I have temp drops regularly like every 2nd to 3rd day and no real climb in temps. So from what I can gather my LP is to short for bub to implant and now after lots of googling this may be the reason why I MC at 5.4weeks PG. I guess what I'm wanting to know is, is there any hope of ever having a healthy little bub and what can the DR do to make my LP longer. What are the tests for testing your LP and what are the treatments and are there any success stories for anybody who has been through this? Thank you so much in advance for any advice I truly appreciate it, I'm feeling like a nervous wreck right now.

Yes!

One of the main treatments they use for short luteal phase is clomid - helps give a "stronger" ovulation and get hormone levels higher to extend the luteal phase. They may also use progesterone supplements in the luteal phase.

Short answer is that it can be treated, it can be fixed and it certainly doesn't mean you can't have more children.

BW

I have been charting for 10 cycles and my LP was same as yours.. Anywhere from 3 to 11 days.. I started taking vitex (just a herb from the chemist) and on my 1st cycle using it my LP was 14 days.. This is only my 2nd cycle on it so will be interesting to see what happens this time, but give it a go, it can't hurt I take it 3 times a day as directed on the bottle, but TBH I sometimes miss the lunch dose because I forget.. Good luck, I hope you get your bubba soon

Also I would be interested to hear what your doc says.. I went to my doctor and had a progesterone test 7DPO, but haven't been back to get the results yet.. Plus it was my 1st cycle on vitex when my LP ended up being 14 days so I don't even know if it will be abnormal.. Keep us updated
    Last edited by blessedatlast; September 23rd, 2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Didn't make sense!

B_W- Thank you for your info it's like music to my ears to or eyes to be able to read that all is not lost for us. Thanks again.
    BlessedAtLast- I will let you know what my DR says this afternoon, I have my temp charts ready to take in with me so she can have a look at them. I'm still pretty nervous about going in there but I want another bub more than anything and I want to know why my LP is so short so I guess there is only one way to find out. I'm only on CD7 at the moment so have awhile before I O but wanted to get stuck in now so I don't miss my chance and have to wait until next month. Thanks for your words of advice darl, I appreciate it and thanks for the good luck wishes.

Hey there,

Big Hugs!! No one should have to go through 2 years of TTC.

I had a short LP as well, about 9 days. Everything I've read said it can impact on the ability for the embryo to successfully impant. having said that I have seen women fall pregnant with a similar LP, so nothing is concrete. A short LP won't mean you can't fall pregnant. It 's probably good to investigate if there are any reasons to why you have a short LP and treat the causes.

I saw a naturopath who suggested I have my vitamin D level's checked and my thyroid. It turns out I had problems with both of these. Supplements and medication probably helped me get pregnant but didn't resolve the short LP for me.

I also saw a FS who tested my progresterone, FSH at day 3 and thyroid. I ended up trying clomid and progesterone pessaries. At the end of all this I cut my losses and went to IVF (still with progesterone support) and fell pregnant first go.

I have now returned home from my DR appointment with some news nothing much to talk of but at least this time the DR listened to me and is going to do some tests for me. I have to return to her at CD19 for BT where she will have a full hormone check done to make sure I am ovulating and my other hormone levels are in check for that time of my cycle she will also be having my thyroid checked out as well. She seems to think that since I get O pain that that's a good sign that I am O'ing but she will still check to make sure, she told me that if I am not o'ing she will prescribe some tablets for me to take for 5 days of my cycle that will make me O if all my BT come back fine she will then send my DF and I off to have his swimmers checked but she didn't seem to think that his swimmers should be a problem as he has got me UTD before then if his swimmers come back good they will do a test to see if I have any blockages in my tubes, I asked her about taking vitamin B6 to lengthen my LP and she said she can't tell me if it will work or not as she's never had much to do with natural treatment but she did say to give it a go and keep TTC. So I guess I will have to wait until CD22 to see what my BT results come back saying, I have my FX that whatever is going on will be easily corrected for us.

It's so tough when it drags on!! I am in very similar boat - have been TTC for about 20 months and have short luteal phase. Great that your DF has got you UTD before though!

I have had everything tested and there is nothing else 'wrong' as such, so my FS has prescribed me Pregnyl 1500...
    which is a a booster which will hopefully assist with implantation. I have to have injections 4DPO and 7DPO. I can let you know how I go with Pregnyl if you like... I have a feeling it will make all the difference!

Hope your test results are all good! best of luck.

I went through 2 x m/c and 2 years of ttc to conceive our son. I was taking clomid the month I fell pg with DS. I was also taking a pregnancy vitamins and Vitamin B6 tablets to help lengthen my LP. So yes, there is plenty to be hopeful for. Glad you found a Doc who will listen and help you! Good luck, I have a feeling your BFP & forever baby might not be too far

littlemissmountain~ Thank you for your advice I would love to hear how you go with your pregnyl 1500 and your results from taking it please, that would be wonderful. Good Luck darl and I hope you get your BFP this cycle, FX for you.

AJC~ Thank you hun, I started taking B6 last cycle and I never O'd until CD35 and AF arrived today at CD46 so I stopped taking the B6 as I have always had a 26-28 day cycle up until I started taking the B6. With Ovulation around CD19 usually until this last cycle.

Had 2 BT done by my DR and neither showed any O but I ended up O'ing on CD35 and AF at CD46 if I go by my temps. All BT came back clear apart from not showing any Ovualtion was the only thing they picked up. Thyroid was good, liver function great ect ect. My GP gave me my referral to go and see a OB/GYN which I have an appointment for this Monday coming, so I have everything X'd that he will help us out in one way or another to get our BFP one day. Here's hoping anyhow.

hi Clairesmummy,

how have you been going with your cycle? Great that your thyroid and liver test were all fine

Just wanted to check in and let you know that I tried the Pregnyl for the first time last month... it lengthened my luteal phase to 14 days, but still no BFP. Apparently success rates for BFP using it each month are about 10-15%, so combined with DP's swimmers (only 25% are fast enough) it may just take a few months. Interestingly, the booster made me feel calmer and less oversensitive, also less PMSy when AF was coming. I'll try it again this month (on CD3 now).

How did you go with the Ob/Gyn?
    hope you're well and your BFP is just around the corner.
    x

Littlemissmountain~ Hey darl, yes I have had my OB/GYN appointment and he did an internal exam on me and said everything looks great and he put me straight onto 100mg of Clomid from CD5-9 so I started that this cycle and currently I am at CD13 no SE from the Clomid as yet......which is a relief for me, he also sent DF in to have his swimmers checked and we have the results from that as well. He told me DFs swimmers looked fine nothing there to be of concern showed up apart from the volume of semen that we took in so I had to explain to him that poor DF was in a pickle that day with trying to get all the specimen into his jar so he said he won't worry about getting him to do another SA yet he wants to see how we go on the Clomid first.
    Good luck hun with this cycle hoping you get your BFP for Xmas darl.

I'm really interested to know how those on Clomid etc are going. From charting I found my LP is only 8-9 days and have gone the B6/vitex/preg vitamins for this cycle. My replacement doctor (usual lovely doctor who actually listens and cares is on Maternity leave) says I haven't been trying long enough to warrant tests etc. He thinks patting me on the arm and telling me to relax and I'll get pregnant is enough. Men!

Hi Miloro,
    I would find another DR darl, I had the very same problem and went to another DR and she sent me off to an OB/GYN for further treament, he put me straight onto Clomid 100mg from CD5-9 and FX I think it has worked a treat for me. I am now 14DPO after my first round on the Clomid and I got a faint BFP this morning, I will be testing again in the morning.
    Don't put up with the pat on the back and being told to just keep trying I did that for over 2 years darl and it never got me anywhere. If your DR won't help can you find one that will. The only thing I regret is not finding a good DR sooner that would give me my referral.
    Good luck darl.