Thread: Some help with taking my temp (charting).....

Question Some help with taking my temp (charting).....

Well, it seems ttc #2 isn't as easy as I was hoping it would be and that it is going to take a little time like it did with DD sooooo we're back on the temping/charting rollercoaster.

Anyway, it's different this time because we have DD who like most toddlers tends to wake at different times of the morning and not at an 'exact' time like my alarm clock used to wake me
    I used to take my temp at the exact same time every morning last time I temp'd.

When do i take my temps now every morning? DD can wake sometimes at 230am or sometimes at 430am for example..... and then again around 530am or 6am..... any advice on when I should be taking my temp then??? I'm thinking it's not going to be very consistent..... LOL
    Can you take it at the same time every night instead???? I can't remember....
    I have searched other threads for similar answers but wasn't what i was after. thanks.

TIA

I am pretty sure (could be wrong tho) that you need to have been asleep or what not for a minimum of two hours to take basal temp. I cannot recall where I have read it. I am like you my DD wakes up at all different times I have just taken to putting thermom in my mouth and walking to her in the morning if she is up before 6 and if not up at 6 my alarm goes off. It doesnt seem to make much of a difference time wise I have found. Temps are all pretty much the same (apart from one or two freaky temps which I also had last time when no DD) I dont know if this helps....

You have to have at least a 3 hour block of sleep for your temp to be accurate. You may have to set your alarm for 2:30AM.

oh man that sucks I'm gonna ditch the temping before I even start.....

we also have had different waking times. i managed to chart fairly well regardless, all i would do was just head back into bed and try to get my body back to resting (ie heart-rate back down...even a wee little nanna nap lol while DH took DD and got her breakfast). as long as when you enter the time correctly in FF (or whatever program you are using) it can be taken into account. i always aimed to get my temp in sometime around 7.30am and 8am (DD would usually wake at say, 6.30-7am). it's of course not ideal, but it still worked for me in the sense that it did still have my own pattern of temps that i could use (and FF could use) to help indicate ovulation.

HTH!

Is there an issue with just not bothering with the temp on the mornings where you haven't had three consistent hours before waking? So as long as you haven't been up after 3am, then take it at 6am every morning. I know it's going to mean gaps, but it still might be helpful. Are you charting without temping? That might be helpful too. I'm considering those OPKs when Xmas rolls around... I know charting will at least get me within a couple of days and then I can use the OPK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer13 View Post
    Is there an issue with just not bothering with the temp on the mornings where you haven't had three consistent hours before waking? So as long as you haven't been up after 3am, then take it at 6am every morning. I know it's going to mean gaps, but it still might be helpful. Are you charting without temping? That might be helpful too. I'm considering those OPKs when Xmas rolls around... I know charting will at least get me within a couple of days and then I can use the OPK.
    Yep, i've been charting without temping, just recording days we BD so I know we're covered iykwim..... I think I'm going to buy some OPK's too. I used them with DD and they did help a bit..... although I'm too lazy to use them!! More work

I think my temp really needs to be taken every day otherwise my chart isn't going to really work. We co-sleep and i never have to get out of bed literally I guess so perhaps my temp won't be too affected.... it's knowing what time to take it I guess.... usually DD is up and ready to wake fully around 6am so i guess i'll have to try for that time....

Thanks everyone for the help.

Ok..... so AF is due any day now..... I was expecting it in the last 2 days but still no show which is a great thing BUT it still feels like AF is going to come and I got a yesterday I'm not feeling very hopeful.

I desperately want to start temping but how can I when my DD's waking is so inconsistent after 3am? she sleeps all night but wakes anytime onwards from 3am..... I'm feeling so frustrated with this whole ttc thing..... I told myself I wouldn't let myself feel frustrated and here I am.... I hope it happens soon. Just want another baby
    That's a little vent really..... argh!!!!! sucks.

So tired of being patient with this whole ttc thing.

Hmmm, it's a lot tougher with another child on the scene

I reckon do your temps when you can, it will still give you a guide, it just may not be as accurate. I think it will still help though.

Definitely get onto the OPK's. They should really help. I tried some cheapos when trying for DD but found the Clear Blue Digital ones to be brilliant. They are pricey but if you know roughly when you might O then they are great. Definitely not cheap if you're testing for two weeks though, LOL!

Good luck!

No advice hun, I just wanted to send you some love and baby dust - I wish it didn't take this long