Thread: Thermometer?

Default Thermometer?

Hi again
    I have a Braun Digital thermometer - one that you put in your ear. Is this ok to use or do I need to buy something different?

I'd strongly suggest you purchase a digital BBT thermometer. I know that some women do temp with the ear thermometers but I don't believe that they are as sensitive or as accurate as a digital bbt thermometer which will read to two decimal places.

When you're temping, you can often have shifts that are as slight as .3 of a degree. Most fever thermometers simply aren't calibrated to detect such small amounts.

Lisa

How much is a BBT thermometer, and can i get one at a chemist?

Any decent chemist should have them. I paid around $12 for mine almost a year ago. I don't think they would have increased much in price since then.

Lisa

Thanks Lisa
    I will have a look at my local chemist tomorrow.

Good luck. If you don't see them on a shelf, ask somebody. They do sometimes tend to put them behind the counter for some unknown reason.

Lisa

MissScarlett Guest

I bought one yesterday for $29. It was the only one they had. Maybe shop around and you might find something cheaper! Often you get what you pay for though. I agree that the Braun ear themometers aren't nearly as accurate. They're really just designed to detect a fever but when you're charting, even a small change in temp can be significant.

I bought mine from Lullaby Conceptions (online). I think it was $16. I haven't had it for too long, but so far, so good! It certainly registers a reading quite quickly. I haven't timed it, but it only feels like about 30 secs, which is quite good. I think some can take a couple of mins. I had trouble finding one in a chemist, but then again, I didn't ask for help!

Good luck

I just use a regular thermometer and have never had a problem. The reason a BBT one is suggested is because it goes to 2 decimal places which is more accurate.

As the others have said the ear ones are less sensitive to changes & FF reccommends either mout or vaginal temping instead.

I don't know if ear or mouth is better, but as long as the thermometer goes to 2 decimal places it should be okay I would have thought.

Apparently BBT thermometers are calibrated differently and are still slightly more sensitive than fever thermometers, even if they have a second decimal place. That is why they sell them and not just 2 digital place fever thermometers. There is no real difference in price either so it isn't just a marketing ploy.

When a shift is a fraction of a degree, the fever thermometers aren't sensitive enough to catch it. I discovered that firsthand myself. My first chart was using a fever thermometer and mouth temping. The result was largely very confusing with a "did I or didn't I" O date and rocky mountain temps. My second chart was temping vaginally with a bbt thermometer and it suddenly all fell into place.

Besides, aside from anything else, in my opinion it is always better to have the tools of the trade because you never know if you will be one of those women who have easy temps to decipher or not.

Lisa

Twinsmum Guest

Totally Agree with above posts - MY Gyno Ob suggested the exact same thing....
    Vaginally is best and most accurate also

Best of luck to you hon

MandyD Guest

I used a normal thermometer but used it vaginally. I found that my chart was really easy to read. I had alot of trouble finding a BBT in my chemist but had I of needed to chart for longer I would have bought online.

Yeah i'd follow the advice re getting a BBT therm!

I used a normal one decimal point thermometer for my first chart (check out my link to FF) i had flat temps all the time. As FF is only a computer program it couldnt detect any clear temp. shifts. Once i got a BBT the shifts are so much easier to notice. I bought mine online for about $15 this year before i knew about Lullaby. they have them and lots of other goodies as well.
    Good Luck with your charting anyway

Thanks everyone. I bought my thermometer at my local chemist for $17. They actually had alot to choose from. The assistant didn't know what a BBT was, and I was trying to explain why I needed it, without the rest of the customers hearing me!
    I took my temperature for the first time this morning, and added to my FF chart. I was so excited. My youngest daughter saw me doing it, and later she was trying to encourage me to leave the bedroom whilst she stayed for a little bit more sleep. She would have had it in her mouth in no time.