Thread: Thermometer - digital or analog?

Default Thermometer - digital or analog?

Hi,

I'm currently using an analog (non-digital) ovulation thermometer orally every morning to record my temp. I've been doing this for months and it's getting a bit annoying as it's hard to know how long to keep it in and I lie there for 5 - 8 mins watching the clock. Not very nice when you're a bit sleepy.

I've heard about digital thermoms but have read that you still have to keep them in for 5 mins - even though they've finished beeping. Are they more accurate?

What do others tend to use? No-one I know charts their cycles so I'd really value your opinion.

Looking forward to this month - hopefully our lives will change forever

Hey Melody

I use a digital...it's great as it gives you a reading to two decimal points...

It reads my temp. in about 1 minute and then beeps (which I like...in case I fall back to sleep again!)...it also remembers your last reading once you have switched it off and then turn it back again...

Mine cost about $20 from the local chemist...

I gave up my analog after I smashed it (accidentally whilst trying to shake it down)...the exposed mercury from the break was a huge worry...especially for my inquisitive puppy!!!

Yeah i used a normal digital but i have heard the BBT basal body thermometers are the best you can get them from Lullaby Conceptions for $16.95... It beeps and gives you a exact temp gives you more accurate results... You can also get them from the chemist... Good luck..

I used a digital - who can read an analog before they've had thier morning coffee?

LOL Chloe!!

Digital BBT is recommended because it's the most accurate. It gives you a temp reading with 2 decimal places. Next after that is digital fever which gives you 1 decimal place readings (I use this one but am changing if not pregnant this month). Analog is the least accurate because like you said, you don't know how long to keep it in, they're tough to interpret & if you move around too much in the 5mins with it in your mouth your temp my change by a few decimal places.

Welcome to BB Melody as well

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm going to go and buy a BBT digital thermometer now. To think I've been doing this for MONTHS! My normal (fever) digital beeps every few seconds and I know would drive hubby and me mad if I used that every morning - good to hear the BBT thermom only beeps at the end.

Is it OK to change thermoms during your cycle? I'm only up to day 4, so would this be OK? We're hoping to start TTC this cycle.

ps. I've just joined the Fertility Friend site as well - looks exciting!

I would think that if you're only up to day 4 it would be fine to change thermometers. If there is a bit of a swing in your temps in the next few days you'll know why.

What brand do people use?

I looked at one today, but it had that annoying "Accu" beep thing that goes off every 4 secs.

I would definately buy a digital one. I bought a cheapo looking one from the chemist for about $12. My thermometer brand is Medi Spot or something like that. It doesnt beep every four seconds, it only beeps when you switch it on and when its time to read the temp.