Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermometer Question

Default Thermometer Question

Hi Ladies,
    Just wondering, if I'm able to use one of those Braun Thermoscan Thermometers to do my temp? They're the ones that you take from the ear? I"m buying one for my DH and just thought it might be suitable for me too?
    Thanks heaps!
    Jayne

I can't see why not. Aren't they the ones that the drs use? Probably more accurate!

These thermometers measure your core temperature. We use them in the hospital. It should be fine to use.

mooshie Guest

i have been charting for around 10mths and that is what i use, i guess its fine as long as you take your temp around the same time each day and with the same type of thermometre.

i like that it is just soooooooooooooooo quick and i can go back to waking up lol

Wellllll, I actually had an ulterior motive with that.......... DH can do my temp and write it on my chart before he goes to work and I can continue snoozing totally oblivious to it all! LOL.
    Thanks so much guys!

Thst sounds tempting I always worry im going to fall asleep with the thermometre in my mouth some morning!

Tell me about it! Somtimes I think that I've fallen asleep for 10 minutes before the beeping wakes me up again! I figure with the ear one, it's quick easy and no fuss. Plus is has a recall button to compare and double-check the readings.

Jayne, I got this from Fertility Friend

It is important that you use a Basal Body Temperature (BBT) thermometer for accurate fertility charting. If your chart is unclear or unusual, you don't want to wonder whether or not your thermometer is responsible for the ambiguity or unusual pattern. A fever thermometer, even a digital one, is not usually able to give you the sensitivity and precision you need for fertility charting. You need to make sure that your thermometer is a BBT one. It should say BBT, Basal Thermometer, or Fertility Thermometer on the package.You can find a BBT thermometer at most well-stocked pharmacies and drugstores. We recommend using a digital BBT thermometer for ease of use, but a mercury BBT thermometer will also work.
    Nic

A little off topic but I was so peeved when I went to get my thermometer the other day. When i was charting um 3-4 years ago not many people knew what a BBT was and you could get one for about $10-15. Yesterday I went in and all they had was an ear one for $60, a fever one with no decimals for $10 and then all these BBT that were like $30 with all the marketing and advertising. Anyway I'm still looking but having said that my last thermometer was a plain digital. As long as it has at least one better to have two decimals and is accurate it will be fine

I was also wondering about this - just bought a Braun Thermoscan for DD, and was thinking of starting to temp. I've heard so many conflicitng stories about ear thermometers I think I'm just going to try it and see what happens.

I used for 1st cycle a thermometer which is just a standard one. Digital one to only one decimal point (eg: 36.5). I think it was only about $6-7 from coles or woolworths.
    This cycle i bought a proper BBT from an online fertility site for about $15-16. It is digital and goes to 2 decimal points (eg: 36.56).

I would defaintly say that 2 decimal points is a must. I received comments that i must have an old or need to change the battery on the thermometer first cycle as i had many flat lines. Now this cycle i can see that my temp changes only slightly 36.56 then 36.59. BUt using the other thermometer i would only be entering in 36.5 on both days.

Lizzie33 Guest

Some of the ear thermometres are not as accurate as a standard mercury one - some friends of mine have compared both, and were advised by a fertility clinic to use a mercury thermometer.

Sunny-summer just wondering what fertility site you ordered your thermometer from as I can't find a BBt one in my town

livvy Guest

Red face

I bought one off of Ebay from The Fertility Naturopath. Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BASAL-DIGITAL...QQcmdZViewItem

Hope the link works!

SarahXan: I got mine from the Fertility Naturopath as well who as know changed names. Some weird things happening, but some different user names actually have the items coming from the same place. Do a search for on there, try a few different keywords as well.

Hi
    I have a related question - I have been taking my temperature orally for a few days but noticed that it is quite low in general. I am concerned that as my bedroom is very cold on a morning the temp. readings are being affected by this - i.e. if I yawn whilst reaching for the thermometer is that going to reduce the temp of my mouth enough to affect the readings?

I was wondering if anybody takes their temp. internally (not mouth though!) - do you think this would be more accurate?

Thanks.

Tess, I remember reading that if you ar a person who sleeps with their mouth open you temps can be lower then normal. I also remember from charting last time that my winter temps would be lower than my summer temps but I could still see an ovulation pattern. HTH

Livvy and Sunny summer, thanks for the link. I actually got a BBT in town Hooray! But wouldn't you know it my DS was up all night with a cold and I forgot to temp this morning :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast