Thread: What type of thermometer?

Default What type of thermometer?

I am relatively new to charting and have been using a regular digital fever thermometer. Just wondering if that is okay, or if I really should be using a BBT one?

Some ladies say it doesn't make a difference. Personally, I think it does. I had vastly different readings between a fever thermometer and a BBT thermometer. And even my GP says that the BBT thermometer is calibrated to be more sensitive to the slightest temperature shift.

Lisa

Sezjm
    a thermometer that goes to two decimal places is best. Also having one with a timer on it is good too so that everything is standard.

And a handy hint someone once gave me was to take your temp as soon as you open your eyes and BEFORE you open your mouth. So no speaking.

Thanks ladies, I think I will order a BBT thermometer, as mine only goes to one decimal place. May as well be getting it right from the start. Thanks for the tip too Kar. I had actually thought of that but wondered if I was being over the top! Glad to know I'm not! I just have to remember that now, I take my temp at 5.30am when DH goes to work as that's when I first wake. I definitely need a thermometer with timer otherwise I'd fall asleep with it in my mouth!

I just used a regular digital one. It wasnt specifically a BBT one.
    The one I used was about $12 from the chemist and it beeps when its time to read the temperature.

See, as I said, some women say it doesn't make a difference. Personally, I'd rather have the real deal. I do believe it does make a difference. My first chart was a real dogs' breakfast, that was a normal fever thermometer and mouth temping. My second chart was a much more regulated affair - digital BBT thermometer and vaginal temping. My third was a BFP. I did ask my GP about the differences and he said that BBT thermometers are calibrated differently, aside from the two decimal places but as with anything, including temping it won't make a difference to some women, where others only have miniscule temperature shifts so it does make a difference. With me, it does.

On the subject of temping before you do anything. There is a reason for this. Your BBT is your Basal Body Temperature. Basically, this is your waking temperature, prior to doing ANYTHING that will get your metabolism going. Some women find that they are incredibly sensitive, others find that they have a little leeway. Until you are sure of what you are doing with temping it is probably best to err on the side of caution and do it fanatically to be certain.

I also temp vaginally as opposed to orally. I am a mouth breather when I sleep and I found that vaginal temps are so much easier to maintain and so much easier to actually do.

Lisa

Debbie Lee Guest

See... I bought a BBT thermometer but it only goes to 1 decimal place I bought it when TTC Gabby so I can't remember what type it is. I think perhaps I should go and get a better one. Can anyone recommend a brand?? Do any of the BB sponsers sell them?

Lullaby Conceptions sells them. Excellent company with brilliant, friendly service!

Lisa

Edited to add: Not affiliated but a very satisfied customer!
    Last edited by Mumintaz; August 29th, 2006 at 08:14 PM.

Debbie Lee Guest

Cool... thanks, Lisa

You're welcome!!

Lisa

Debbie Lee Guest

Uno the silly thing??
    I just found the packaging for the thermometer... it's called "BD Basal Digital Thermometer". It claims to be "a convenient, fast and accurate method of fertility awareness" and it includes a little brochure about charting and fertility stuff. Yet, it only records to 1 decimal place!! How silly is that?? So I must have thought I was buying the right thermometer... urrgh!
    Ah well.. it'll have to suffice until I can afford and new one (and some OPKs and HCG tests from Lullaby Conceptions... looks unreal!).

I HIGHLY recommend the OPK's. Until this cycle I had never seen a second line on an OPK. Found not one but TWO positives this month!! Was a real thrill! LOL

Lisa

Just saw this thread had been resurrected and thought I would add to it.......I love my BBT thermometer! I got it from Lullaby Conceptions (Lisa is right, they are great) and I love that it registers your temp very quickly, like about 20-30 seconds. Some take longer than a minute. Also I think that it's very accurate. Would recommend to anyone!

Glad your happy with your thermometer! Happy Charting. I think a BBT is a very beneficial for charting

JoDan Guest

hmm, might have to get one of these...

I got an ovulation digital thermometer from Friendies Chemist about 3 days ago...it goes to 2 digital points, records in 30 secords and 'memorises' the temp (for those days when I fall back to sleep again!)

It cost just under $20

JoDan Guest

Monnie, what is the brand of it? I might have to look out for it.