Thread: When does O happen - before or after temp rise?

Fee Guest

Default When does O happen - before or after temp rise?

I'm a bit confused.

FF says that your basal body temperature increases after ovulation.

A book I'm reading says your temp drops just before ovulation and then the most likely day of ovulation is the beginning of the rise.

:-s

Hm... when I was charting I think I got the temp rise after O. I never really got the drop in temp before O, some people do though.

Fee Guest

I'm just wondering how to find out the exact day I O-ed this cycle. I'm sure I have, but not exactly sure which day.

I think the temp rise is usually after O, as your body then produces progesterone, which causes the temp rise. If you're charting with FF, it's very good at predicting the day you've ovulated. I think it counts 3 consecutive temp rises as saying you ovulated.

My chart is in my signature if you wanna have a squiz. I had a nice textbook ovulation cycle and got a BFP!

Good luck with it all!

oops.. just realised you ARE charting with FF. I'd say if your temp goes back up, FF will give you your coverlines

Fee Guest

I entered my temp this morning and got the red lines (coverlines?!).

So the vertical line is on the day I O-ed, right? CD23?

What does the horizontal line mean? I haven't read much about coverlines.

Fee - I think the horizontal line is your base temperature line. It's the temp that you want to stay above. Not too sure in detail but I know it's not a good sign if you go below it too often (usually only when AF is coming)

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nat153
    Fee - I think the horizontal line is your base temperature line. It's the temp that you want to stay above. Not too sure in detail but I know it's not a good sign if you go below it too often (usually only when AF is coming)
    I read on FF that it's not a bad thing if your temp drops below the coverline.

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by emmajane
    I think that if you are pregnant, you don't tend to fall back down past the horizontal line.....
    That's probably right I'd say.

I think I'll just have to do more reading on the FF site.

Hooray for your coverlines Fee! I notice you're not ttc until 3 more months. I hope your cycles stay nice and steady for you

I wish I had charted while I had no AF, just for comparison sake. Would love to have seen how screwy my temps were with no O or AF.

I understood the horizontal line to mean that too, that generally you wouldn't drop below that if you're pg. Most ppl experience a drop in temp just before AF, or a couple of days into it. Of course, if you're sick with a pg, it can affect your temps, so that can put them all over the place too.

Good luck in the next few months!

Fee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ivana_baby
    I notice you're not ttc until 3 more months. I hope your cycles stay nice and steady for you
    I hope so too! We may even TTC in 2 months now (changed our minds!)

And thanks for your replies everybody.