Thread: Where do you temp - in bed, in bathroom??

poppet Guest

Default Where do you temp - in bed, in bathroom??

Sooo confused over my body at moment. Have been charting just CM this cycle. Had +OPK on CD24...now CD37 and still nothing.....so ......... when AF finally turns up, next cylce im going to temp. But when do you temp? Lying in bed as soon as you wake up? Can i walk to the kitchen and do it in there each morn? Can i wlk to the bathroom?

Nup, do it in bed. It should be the very first thing you do as soon as you wake up. Any kind of activity will affect your temp

Good luck!

Yep! Even talking! It was funny when we were away, DH kept trying to talk to me while I was scrabbling to find my thermometer and he kept laughing at me because I could only reply with "mmm" with my mouth clamped closed waiting for the thermometer!

It sounds awful, but it doesn't take long for it to become second nature and it doesn't bother me at all now.

BW

As the girls said stay in bed roll over and take it... Good luck...

Debbie Lee Guest

Yep... take it ASAP as soon as you wake up otherwise it's not really accurate.
    What sort of thermometer do you have?

DH gets up before me so I would take mine while he was in the shower.
    He thought it was soooooo wierd

BBT = basal body temperature. That means the temperature that your body is before your metabolism kicks in and gets going. Therefore it MUST be the first thing you do, the minute you open your eyes or the temperature won't be accurate. You should also take it at the same time, even if it means setting the alarm at a ridiculous time so that you can do it accurately each day. And it should be done after 3 hours solid sleep and preferably under the same conditions each day. Things like an extra blanket, more clothing, air conditioning, mouth breathing etc can all affect it.

I found it much easier to temp vaginally. The alarm would go off at 4.30am. I'd pop the thermometer in, wait for the beep and then put it on the bedside table and go back to sleep. When I woke up I'd check the temp, clean the thermometer and then enter the reading on FF. Once you get into routine it is easy and your body will wake without the alarm after a while.

Of course, the downside is when you get your BFP and your body STILL wakes you at temp time even though it doesn't need too.

Lisa

poppet Guest

well, well, i certainly didnt know that. LOL at the not being able to talk. I will see how i go once i get over this cycle. It takes a real committment doesnt it ?? Mmmm DH is going to really think im going weird now....

It does become just a part of the rountine after a while and you dont take much notice and just do it.

Debbie Lee Guest

Krystal - don't stress about your DH. Just explain to him why you need to do it. It's not something airy fairy but it's for real, logical reasons. Perhaps if you printed out a page from FF that explains temp charting briefly for him to read, he'll understand? I know my DH understood when he realised the reasons behind it (and that it wasn't some weird thing that girls do). It's all about giving yourself the best chance to catch that VERY small window to conceive a bubba.

The others are right... pretty soon you'll be taking your temp without even thinking about it. I found myself waking up without an alarm at generally the right time after a while (I'd then go back to sleep, hehehe). Once I got my BFP (after 4 months instead of 12 like with my first... gotta help that I was charting properly... bit proud here! hehehe) it took a while to get out of the habit of charting! It's amazing how it works. It's SO not a hassle at all... not for the rewards it can reap.

Yep definitely take it before you do anything - keep the thermometer by the bed and roll over and do it as soon as your eyes open. After a while it just becomes something you do on autopilot (like switching the alarm clock off, you do it kinda asleep )

clare076 Guest

My DP thought I was really sick to start off with. He really ddn't get the idea of temping and thought I had a fever After a while explaining the whole process, he used to wake me every morning before he left for work to take my temp. Then every evening he would ask "what did your temp say today?" I am glad I temped, we conceived Max the first cycle and this bubba the second cycle after loss.

Debbie Lee Guest

Awww that's so cute, Clare!