Thread: Always getting sick in daycare

Default Always getting sick in daycare

Hello!

Hoping for a little advice... My 1yo has been in daycare (one day a week) since May and has been constantly sick since then. I've lost count of the number of trips to the doc/hospy we've had to make, and he only seems to have a few days here and there when he's his normal bubbly self. I'm worried his immune system is suffering because he never has time to properly get over one bug before the next one comes along.

I'm wondering whether I need to give up work. The thing is, I think my older DS (3yo) should continue in daycare because he's a little timid and it helps him get used to other kids. So if I give up work, but my eldest stays in daycare, perhaps my 1yo will still get sick anyway.

AARRGGGHHH! I wish I knew what to do. I hate seeing my little one so sick all the time, but I don't want to give up my job (which I enjoy) only to find he's still constantly sick anyway!

Any thoughts/advice would be very welcome.

It's really hard, isn't it?
    We had DS in daycare from about 15-18 months before finally pulling him out. In 12 weeks (going 2 days per week) he only attended 15 days because he was constantly sick! THere does come a point where it is just not worth it - that's a decision only you can make.
    DS really wasn't happy at daycare, he wasn't ready for it at that age. We tried again from 2 and he loves it! And, thankfully, he's only had a couple of minor colds this time round and hasn't even missed any days. What a different expereince.
    I guess you just have to think about whether it's worth it - I know I ended up missing heaps of work when DS was in daycare the first time so it really wasn't. And I agree, I think that when they get sick over and over they never really get a chance to recover properly, which only compounds the problem.
    Do you have any other options for child care - relatives/friends or even family daycare? Does you older child get sick so much? If he's not bringing home illnesses your younger DS might be safer.
    All the best making your decision

Default Always getting sick in daycare

The advantage ( if you cab call it that) is that when they get to kinder they get sick a lot les than the kids who have been home all the time ( yes I'm making a sweeping generalisation an it's just my opinion and what I have observed myself)
    I'd rather they missed out on daycare than kinder or school

Thanks, ladies, for your comments.

Pandora - I suppose my thoughts are that I'd prefer DS to be a bit older before he starts getting all the bugs. He struggles to get rid of them and I suspect that's partly because he's so young. I'm also wondering whether his development is suffering (learning to walk etc.) because he just doesn't have the energy.

After our experience I'm inclined to agree with you firstkids, if they must get sick surely it's better to do it when they're older and better able to deal with it.
    Maybe we just got unlucky last winter, but DS has been in daycare again this winter and hasn't had anything like the trouble he did when he was a year or so younger.

Hi Firstkids,

I am experiencing the same thing, my 15 month old started daycare about 2 months ago and we are on the cold merrygo round. I know with my first son the same thing happened (unforunately I think them starting in the middle of winter doesn't help) anyway he surived and once the weather started warming up the colds reduced and the next winter he maybe had only a couple of colds. I suppose for me I'm not in a position of giving up my job so I just think that it is hopefully only another 6 weeks and the weather will warm up and they will be able to go outside more so hopefully less germs.

Plus my eldest is in kinder and middle son in daycare so all the bugs end up at home anyway.

Good luck it is awful when they are sick all the time but they are resiliant.

Goodness, I could've just written your post word for word, except we've only been doing the daycare thing for a month. My DS is also only there one day a week, but I've been picking up a casual day here and there so he's really been doing two days a week. We've been to the GP 3 times this week already, and pretty much once a week for each week we've been there.

It's so hard to know what to do... My normal GP suggested I pull him out because his immune system isn't ready (which TBH I was a bit suprised at because everyone says expect them to be sick for the first 3 - 6 months) but the one we saw today said keep going with it cos it's normal... Sorry, no advice here, just shared frustrations

I had my DS in care for 2 months. Because of the illness we pulled him out and now I am a SAHM......my DD won't go to daycare and the only time they'll get care is when they are the year before school where they'll go to Early Learning

ETA: I believe the more immature their immune systems, the more they get sick. When they're a bit older and exposed to a normal amount of germs (from the floor, dirt etc) their immune systems respond to illness more effectively. But that's just my personal opinion

same here, my DD has gone 2 days a week since april and is constantly sick! before daycare she had gastro once, no colds or anything, now she has constant runny nose, has had conjunctivitis twice and now has a terrible cough that im hoping isnt croup (shes had the cough for 2 weeks). its a PITA cause im at TAFE so i cant pull her out

I am so worried about this, my DS is due to start CC next week a couple of days a week. We have been very lucky so far to have not had to use CC as we have had family kindly help us out. DS has only been sick once in 12 months, and that was after one day in occassional care..

It does happen to some kids, unfortunately. Best advice I have to give is to make sure you are washing hands, A LOT. Wash your hands as soon as you get there, both of you, and before you leave the centre, and then again as soon as you get home. I've worked in childcare for a long time, and I think that this can really make a difference. The more people who do it, obviously, the better it is, so see if you can convince some other parents to do the same, and maybe talk to the staff about encouraging other parents to do it. It sounds really simple, but I think it's effective, and some public health nurses we had come to visit think it's really the key to controlling infection too.

Also, nourish that little immune system. Fresh vegies and heaps of water (not that you can really control their water intake) because I do think this makes a difference too.

Hello, my DS started daycare at 2 years old doing 2 days a week. He started in April and for that first winter he did get sick quite alot. At the time I did question myself if it was all worth it. A year on and I have to say that it definitely was worth it. He doesn't cry anymore when I leave and when he is happy just waves or if he is feeling sulky will pout his mouth while I walk out. This is a huge improvement for him and for alot of stories I've heard about children starting daycare 3+ where you have to deal with the talking, tantrums and the separation anxiety all in one hit.

This winter (touch wood) it has been alot easier. We are averaging once a month and this appears the norm for most kids whether they are at daycare or not. I'm not working much now but the benefit we see for DS has been amazing - his speech, social skills and happiness when I pick him up makes me happy too. It gives me confidence for when he goes to school. Another thing to consider if you attend playgroup, mothers group, gymbaroo, swimming lessons, play equipment etc etc kids pick up these bugs from everywhere. And from what I hear when one sibling picks something up, the other usually picks it up too. One other thing, if you stop working will you be able to get back into your work again in the future? If you enjoy it, you may resent giving it up and that may not make anyone happy! I think whatever age they start they will get their share of sickness.

Good luck with your decision!

Thanks so much for all your feedback, everyone. I've just found out that my mother is coming back to Oz in September, so she will be able to help out and I can pull my youngest out of childcare. Hurray!!!! I know we're very lucky, so all the best to those who aren't able to take advantage of grandma!

In the meantime, I think I'll try and work from home as much as I can, because it is just too awful watching the little one struggle. I don't think I'm being over-protective... It hasn't just been sniffles - in addition to lots of colds, he's had gastro-type bugs, really bad coughs that keep him awake all night etc etc and the poor little one just isn't the same happy, energetic boy he used to be. I think his immune system just isn't ready for it - he'll probably be in a better position next winter when he's a bit older.

Anyway - thanks again, ladies!

That's great you are able to find another way!

Trust your mumma instincts.

It's not always the best idea to persist with day care. Having worked in day care myself for 5 years I saw that some children were simply not strong enough to be there... but sadly their parents had no other option. It can also be very expensive paying for so much unused daycare which makes it hardly worth it.

I would err on the side of caution and pull him out at this stage, like any other kind of immunisation (which germ exposure is) sometimes it's better to let a bit of time pass until they are stronger.

It is such a tough call. I am pleased you have found another option and don't have to worry!
    To everyone else who doesn't feel like they have an option, it usually gets better. Kids immune systems tend to be more vulnerable in their second year regardless of if they are in care or not, (so I have heard... maybe that's a PROMA study...) although obviously it's worse if they are. Natalie had SO many illnesses in her first year at CC and now she kind of shrugs off a cold. Phoebe still gets sick often and she is only in 1 day/week too. It is hard.
    I too am a firm believer in hand-washing.
    Remember too that it's winter and things tend to be more prevalent in winter. I am HANGING for Spring!

HI,
    I owned my own centre and I found the under twos would always get sick no matter how clean we were, washing equiptment weekly, using gloves to wipe noses ect. If you can put them into child care when thay are older there immune systems seem to cope better with a cold and with whatever else is going around.