Thread: Childcare for young bubs (5months) whats your experience

Default Childcare for young bubs (5months) whats your experience

HI,

Just looking for other peoples experience in relation to putting their bubs in care.

DS will be starting full time care in less than 2 weeks, and I'm sure he will be fine as he likes other people a fair bit and hasn't got the vice grip attachment to me yet, but i'm starting to get nervous probably more that he's not going to be with me anymore.

oo mental note, take tissues for mummy when she turns into a blubbering mess

Hi Rebecca,
    We started DS at one day a week at around 4 months. We made sure we were really happy with the carers as I just think that is so crucial and spent some time there during an orientation. He is still there four months later and I wouldnt have kept him there if I didnt think he loved it as I am not working at the moment. He loves his two carers and having the interaction with the other kids and especially the different toys. I know they will call me if there is a problem and he is done so much there like painting that I probably wouldn't have thought to start yet. So we are very happy with him going. He is quite clingy with me, even if he is held by his daddy but when I put him down at daycare with the toys he lets me kiss him and say goodbye and doesnt put his arms out or fuss or anything.
    I think that it is quite a good age to start as his carers seem just like granny or nanna etc to him.

Hi Becca,

DD started Child Care 3 days a week at approx 4 months of age. We did a couple of orientation sessions first and she spent time with the carers. They "cared" for her whilst I sat in a corner. At first, she took longer to settle with them than if I settled her - but it didn't take long for her to get used to them and settle quickly for them. And it didn't take long for her to bond with them either. She used to jump around and wave her arms in the air excitedly when her fav carer came in the room. Now, you tell her its child care day and she beams from ear to ear. When we get there she puts her arms out for the carers annd gives them a big hug.
    On a side note, the carers tell me the children settle in to it quicker when they are younger.

HTH

MG

P.S I didn't cry when i dropped her off the first time but i DID call 5 times during the day for the first 2 weeks!

Chelsea goes to FDC 2 days a week, has been since March this year (so since she was4 months old). She loves it and misses not going if her carer goes on holidays or has study commitments.

I was a mess the first few times..but now (as bas as it sounds) love when Mondays and Fridays roll around!

My boys first started at daycare when they were 13 weeks old. I had to go back to work. Alex started at a daycare centre (not for profit - council run) in the country, and they were fantastic. When XH & I Moved back to Melbourne, we started Ned (when he was born) and Alex at family day care.

The main reason for this was so that they would grow up together - otherwise they would be in different rooms and not together for the main part of the day. They have two different carers, one on Mondays and Fridays, and one on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They are both FANTASTIC.

I didn't have any other option other than daycare, but it has worked wonders for my boys.

I used to work in Child care and I found most children settled in better when they had a few orientation sessions first. Or shorter visits to start with (if that's possible).

Just remember that you and your child have to be comfortable with the carers. We used to encourage parents to call during the day to see how the child was doing.

Thanks all,

We have had 3 short days so far with me and dh at home so we could easily go in if need be. Couldn't do anymore as we only started on wed and I'm back at work next week. DS is doing well, he still needs to adjust for feeding and sleeping but if this takes a few weeks and i need to go in then work will just have to understand.

I only cried the first 2 days with a cool calm and collected mummy this morning. This meant I was capeable of giving information to the careres because I wasn't a blubbering mess.

Well done Bec! Try not to stress too much, the carers are well practised at helping children settle in to the routine of child care and not having Mummy/Daddy there.

Good luck going back to work next week!

MG