Thread: FDC experiences

Default FDC experiences

Hi everyone,

At first I wasn't keen on the idea of sending my son to fdc when I return to work but I got to thinking that it might be better for him to only have one carer he can for a bond with, who will be more likely to follow his routine every day, and take the time to put him to sleep (I assume). But I'm still concerned about whether anybody can visit the house while he's in care, the kind of attention he'll get, etc etc. Does anyone have any positive or negative stories regarding family day care? Does anyone know of any good carers in the inner north eastern suburbs of Melbourne?

Thanks

I am a true believer in the FDC way. My DD1 started at 8.5 months and stayed with the same carer until she was in school, and the whole FDC family is now like family to us. All the carers we've had since then have been excellent. I've always found my DD received better quality time with her carers in FDC than she did when she spent time in a CC centre. We've never had any problem with family visitors since the FDC mums are just as careful with your children as they are with their own. Anyway you can ask to meet any regular visitors to the house before you place your child in care. I reckon go with your gut instinct and you won't have any problems.

Hi Marydean,

Thanks very much for your help with that. I'll put some feelers out to see if I can get some recommendations.

All the best.

I second everything Marydean has said. DS has been in FDC since 8 months and is now 2 (today!!) His FDC family is like family to him and he loves his carer (as do I) her kids are all at high school or uni now so they love the little ones that come. DS gets a cot in a bedroom by himself so he gets to sleep easily (not in a room full of cots like CC) The scheme which runs DS's FDC does random checks on carers and we get a little report in his bag after they have been.
    I cannot sing the praises of FDC enough!!