Thread: good pre-school Penrith/St Mary's area??

Default good pre-school Penrith/St Mary's area??

I'm wanting to put my two year old into pre-school for a day or two per week to help her development, give me time with my 1 yr old and some time to myself also. I am interested to hear if anyone has recommendations or warnings about places in this area? I'd appreciate any replies

Smile

Just in October '06,my daughter started pre-school at Rainbow Cottage here in Cambridge Gardens..i love it,and more importantly..she loves it!
    The staff are really great and seem to get on well with the kids,and i think the prices are reasonable.
    For their half-day Thursdays(9am-1pm)it's $22,and for their full days(Mon-Wed,Fri..9am-3pm))it's $33.20.
    Parents just have to supply a piece of fruit(or rice crackers,cheese,popcorn etc)for morning tea on the Thursday,or if a full day,also the childs lunch.
    Of course the usual hat and sunscreen is required,but everything is provided by them.

The kids seem to have a ball,and if i knew how much fun my daughter was going to have,and how great the staff are,i would have sent her at 3,not waiting till 3 1/2*L*
    They cater for kids 3-6,as well as a before and after school program for kids already in school,but perhaps the parents are working.

So,that's one pre-school i would highly recommend. It's council run,so not-for-profit..but they earn every cent that they do get!

Clare
    :0)

thanks Clearbrite! I'll keep that one in mind, but with Kat being only 2 atm, she won't get in....also thinking now of getting Jess in also for one day so as I have the day free to do whatever I need to/want to.

I think your best bet would be a childcare centre instead. I know that you can get CCB for childcare but I have heard that you cant get it for preschool. I might be wrong. I was going to suggest the preschool at Kingswood Park which I have heard is around $2 per session if I heard right but it is only kids that are going to be going to school the following year but they do not have to go that school. I have had experience in various child care centres in Penrith let me know if you are interested.

Ang

I'm interested!! I'm seriously thinking about putting my DD (just turned 2) into care two days per week when I'm at work. My MIL has her at the moment but for a few reasons, I'd like this arrangement to end sometime in the next 6 months.

I would need a centre with extended hours though - I'd have to drop her off at about 6.45am and pick her up at about 6.30pm (OK, that is a long day and makes me feel soooooo guilty!)

Do you think 2 is too young to go into care? She doesn't get the opportunity to be around kids her own age very often anymore so I think it might be really good for her????

I'd prefer pre-school as I want Kat to have help with her talking. She's pretty good, but we feel she's behind thanks to being able to talk baby talk to Jess most of the time and she's just soooo stubborn! Jess too needs some time with other kids. Willow, I think 2yrs is a good age to introduce them to other kids etc. It's a good age to encourage them to grow and learn....
    I heard that "Little Joey's" at Cambridge pk is good, but DH wants me to put it off for a bit longer as we can't afford that and the kitchen renos we are trying to save for and have done in April. So no point me really checking it out till then....
    Goodluck Willow....hope you find a great place!

Katkins, Childcare is exactly like preschools with programs in place like school readiness program. My middle son had problems with talking and the child care centre helped him along. The only difference is the opening hours and the ages that they will take children from like childcare is from 0-6 while preschool is generally from 3-6. A s I have dealt with both of the years. At two years old there will be a bit of a waiting list as it is an age group that normally has low vacancies. Also when children are around other children it is amazing what they will copy from another child that you may have been trying to teach them for ages in a matter of minutes.

Willow, I know that Kingswood Preschool is open from 6.30am to 6.30pm. Kids Place in Emu Plains is open later I think their hours are 7am to 7.30pm. Mud Puddles in Emu Plains as well is open from 6.30am to 6.30pm. I think Rivendale in South Penrith is open the same hours. Also the only near the M4 at Regentville might have the same opening hours. Of all of those centres I have only dealt with Kingswood Preschool. My only other suggestions would be family daycare but you may have problems due to the hours you want or in home care. With in home care I would only use it for the bridge between the childcare hours and when you leave home/arrive home as it is more expensive than childcare as they can set their own fee. You can be charged $18/hour or more. The only benefit of in home care to say a nanny is that you can claim childcare benefit. My son has been in long day care since he was 8 months old as I had to go back to work. I find that children who are only in one day a week will take longer to settle in than one that is in say two consequective(sp) days. At two I would not be suprise if there is some tears on both sides.

The other centre that I have mainly dealt with of the years are Blue Emu in Emu Heights and Jamisontown. Both are council run centres and I was quite happy with the care and what was taught to them. Most council run centres are open from 7am to 6pm.

The main thing is to go and visit as many centres as you can. See which one you feel comfortable with. Just because someone says it is good does not mean that you will like it. I would go there without booking in so you can see what the centre is like normally and not when they are trying to put on a different face. The only time I would avoid is between 11.30 and 2pm due to sleep times. Take notice how the staff deals with the children and other staff. Also take notices of the surrounding like whether there is mess everywhere like inside and out. where say paints, child safety gates to certain areas. You could take your daughter with and see which one she is more comfortable with.

There are many question to ask like where is the nappy changing area if she is still in nappies, what are about the meal plan and how they deal with allergies if any. What you need to bring varies from centre to centre. Also what you need to do if your child needs to take medication varies from centre to centre. Ask for their parent information booklet or something with the information in it as you will get so bamboozled by at the term and what different centres have. I have found that generallly your first opinion is generally the best one.

I hope that I have not confused you and if they is anymore questions just ask me.

Ang

Fletch, I know how you feel!! I'm so torn over this. Ideally I would love to wait until she was three and put her in pre school (in the hope I'd be prg again or at home on mat leave but realistically, that might not happen :frown. But that might be harder for her. I've had a few parents tell me that the younger they are, generally the quicker they adapt?? I don't know. She will only be in 2 days (thurs/fri) so I need to remember that.

I really didn't want to put her into care but I'm not sure how long this arrangement with my MIL can last. It was only supposed to be short term because at the time I was prg again and would have gone on mat leave again in Sept last year.

It's something I really need to look into in the next few months I guess.

Thanks for all that info Ang!

CCB depends on how much you earn. You can find out what your rate is from the centrelink website. You need to put in what your income is, what type of care and it will give you a percentage. Dont be fooled into think that this is the percentage you have to pay from what the childcare charges you. As the childcare place will charge you one rate and the government says it is something else generally lower. The government used to believe that childcare benefit was worth $2.35 an hour about three years ago while most centres it was $5 an hour. Your CCb is the percentage of what the goverment pays.

I hope this helps.

Ang
    Last edited by crazymum2; January 16th, 2007 at 05:07 PM.