Thread: Help me make up my mind

Default Help me make up my mind

DD were in the largest day-care in town since 6 months old. We took her out at the end of 2008 for some personal reasons. DD and DS are currently in day-care (I think you call it family-care) They are with a lady that has about 38 kids from various ages staying at her house. She has the correct amout of carers for the children. Thing is .. they changed premisis (she is now renting the house next to hers) and she is currently pregnant. Things that should not matter, but it's bothering us. We are concerned that once her baby comes, she will not be present at the premisis and also this premisis is smallish and we are concerned, come winter, where the kids would be entertained. Also I'm very distraught that they gave ds some other kid's milk a while back So if that could happen within less than a month with them being there ... so can him getting the wrong medication, kwim??

So me and DH have been chatting and we have a plan. We want to ask our maid that currently works two days a week, to come and work for us permenantly to sit the kids, clean the house and to cook main lunch. DH trust her and she is a soft-spoken woman with three kids of her own. I know she is struggeling atm and giving her a permenant job (and salary increase) could only benifit her. I only work in the mornings, so that means that if my kids are home-cared .. I would get to see more of them and would be more in control. Also it would be cheaper to have them home and pay for a full-time maid AND have dd in play-school twice a week, than to have a maid twice a week and both kids in family-care.

I was also thinking that if the kids are in primary school, I would have stopped working and would be able to take care of them myself. So I have been thinking of getting her some training that involves diploma's (like first aid) ect that she can get another job after she is done with us.

I told DH we can do this, and if after three months it's not working out .. we place them in the first day-care centre again. I loved their baby-care department and the women that works there are truley great.

So is there anyone that have a maid that looks after you kids at home? Is there stuff I should think about before I ask her to do this? Is this really a good thing to do?

OMG I wish I had a maid!!!

i hada nanny who was with the kids on weekends(while we worked) and her first priority was the kids then if she had time it was to clean.. she was awesome
    so i think you will need to decide what her main job is

Good point Doudou, I think getting her to do 1st aid cert is a great idea too, both for your kids and her future.
    if she has sole care of the kids she obviously won't get as much cleaning done (heck I get none done LOL)

I know ... I was thinking of telling her that First the kids, Second lunch (yea .. we lurrrrv to eat) and then the house

I was thinking that I could tell her that she does not need to clean the whole house, everyday. As long as she just cleans the toilets and one room per day (that way my whole house gets a once over per week) that's fine. Also my MIL offerd to come and sit the kids for an hour or two in the mornings, so that she (the maid) can get her work/lunch done. I apreciate that from my MIL, but I am not sure I want her there EVERYDAY ... I have issues, deep shamefull issues with her watching my kids full-time.

And I'll be there from 13:00, so what ever she did not get to in the morning, she can get to after I'm home. I was thinking about telling her that her hours will be from 7:40 till 17:00 (with one hour lunch), but that most days I'll probably send her home at 15:00.

Sounds like a great idea. Not sure if this is an issue but in regards to cost it may be more then you think. Unless she is a registed carer then you can't claim child care benifit or the 50% CC rebate, so this may also be worth concidering. Good luck with your decision, hope it works out.

Olive's mum she is in South Africa its different there.

Sorry, I didn't realise

Don't worry i do things like that all the time!!