Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How soon to enrol in kinder ?

Colleen Guest

Default How soon to enrol in kinder ?

Well someone asked me the other day if I had looked into Kinders for Jaykob and I was like errr its a bit soon for that?

They told me that the waiting lists in the city of casey can be quite long ( Im not in that shire ) and would possibly be longer for me...?

Now I have no idea so maybe this is correct but if i found a kinder now... and we moved what would happen lol

Anyone know? had experience with kinda enrolments?

If you have been recommended to I would, just because I have heard horror stories of being like 100+ on the list or ringing at 2 and being told they are full for 4 y.o. Kinder :shock: I think it depends on your area though, but if you are worried ring around and ask the kinders in your area what the protocol is.

Goodluck! Its scary to have to think about it so early though hey?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Yikes... I still havent booked Aidyn in for 3 or 4 yr old Kinder... and he is already 1... I somehow dont like our chances too much.... I'd better get calling today then!

Colleen Guest

Wow Shannon! Thanks for all that info.. Im in Seaford so Im guessing the same rules apply.....

Im not sure if Id like him to go to 3 year old kinder ? Anyone know the benefits ? its obviouslly not compulsury?

Again, Thanks Shannon! & Cailin... And Ambah I better get looking too! lol

Colleen

I'd say the benefits are definitley there. 3 y.o. kinder is less structured than 4 y.o. Kinder. At 3 y.o. they are allowed to do whichever activity they choose, at 4 y.o. they try to encourage shared time between each activity (this obviously works better if your child has had prior experience, which is why 3 y.o. is good). 3 y.o. is shorter session times preparing them for the bigger break away from mum, whereas 4 y.o. kinder (around here anyway) is bigger blocks, or it goes for more sessions during the week.

I think Paris might have taken a while to settle next year had she gone straight to 4 y.o. Kinder, I am glad she's doing 3 y.o. as I am more confident she will be fine next year with longer sessions. And Kinder has helped her to listen to instructions, how to be clean and tidy, and how to eat nutritious foods (not that she wasn't being taught at home, but I think the added pressure helped LOL). Its also given her time to develop skills like hand eye co-ordination, drawing, mechanical skills and social skills that she might not have developed as well at home by playing even though we do try... And for the social aspect I think its valuable as they learn early how to interact with all sorts of children.

This is just my personal opinion though, and of course its completely up to you!

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Colleen Guest

thanks again shannon & cailin!

I have to say, although a little off topic, I get answers here, faster than I do when I ring the MCHN hotline, Im always on hold for 10+ minutes, whereas here, bang! someones replied! lol its great!

Now one more question and then i'll :-# lol

Shannon how soon did you enrol for 3yr old kinder?

Colleen Guest

oh i know what you mean about the surge, so many new houses there, we have even looked at moving there to build....

Well I may give them a call and ask their opinion, they will be able to tell me if they are packed yet lol

Thanks again!!!

Colleen !

ragged_blossom Guest

I registered Andrei for 3 y/o kinder 2007 in May 2005. This was the earliest this particular kinder would take enrollments. The 4 y/o kinder at the same place is organised by the council -- so i will need to look into that. We want him to go to Caulfield Primary Kindergarten, as he will attend Caulfield Primary School eventually.

Colleen Guest

nps kate

ragged_blossom, thanks for that info, its all abit confusing really, they need a very simple statement on a pamphlet when the baby is born that says the reccomended dates for enrolments or something lol

If only life were as simple as having everything put in front if you in plain simple english!!!

Colleen

In our area NE Melbourne it's advised that you enrol your child into both 3 and 4yo preschools as soon as they turn 2yo. The good centre's all have huge waiting lists.

Ooops, I now I am well prepared & am a planner...
    But at Indah's birth I was given all the usual paperwork & forms & a Kinder enrolment form & filled it in asap, as with maddy I was told to enrol at birth...

So Indah is enrolled to both 3 & 4 yr old...

Our council won't accept enrolment forms until the child has turned 2yo. Private ELCs are different though as would be childcare centres that run kinder programs.

I enroled Wade into 3yo kinder when he was 2 years and 3 days old... but forgot to enrol him for the 4yo group! They are different systems apparently but it's still important to enrol them as soon as they turn 2. This is in the Banyule council area.

What is kinder exactly? Is it the same as pre-school? Maybe we don't have it in NSW...

Bathsheba,
    ours isnt private or a childcare centre... I am in the Knox area.. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it all came with all the centrelink etc forms in the hospital...

Tegan Kinder is preschool (or so i believe!)

Tegan, Kinder is Pre-school and visa versa. Different states have the different names for it though and different programs.

I only enrolled Lindsay at 3 for his 4 y.o year before entering school and was so lucky that we don't have the waiting lists, but know that our town has become a mining town, I enrolled Erin into a full 3y.o day because preference is given to those children who have attended as a 3y.o and the waiting lists are starting to get long too.

Kinder = preschool in this thread.

I understand your confusion Tegan... in NSW the 1st year of school is called Kindergarten hey? In Victoria the first year of school is called Preparatory or "Prep" and if the child attends voluntary sessions before school then they go to "Kinder".

I grew up in NSW and went to 4 yo PreSchool then went into Kinder when I was 5yo.

My children here in Vic will go to 3 and 4 yo Kinder then into "Prep" when they turn 5yo.

ETA: Tracey: Yep, different councils have different systems as I've since learnt. It would be much easier to have things consistent hey? The only way I learnt to enrol when I did was by word of mouth at PlayGroup and that's not good enough!

It is quite confusing because, yes the start of school here is called kinder, lol.

I agree Bathsheba.... As I know with Maddy I found out at Mothers Group & luckily a friend whose second son was in same group, was 'clicky' with the council etc & she wangled Maddy's name onto the list!!!
    Or else I'd have had to drive past the kinder (it's just near us) about 10 mins to get to the other one! Ridiculous hey!!!!

They should let you know when you see the MCHN the first time!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast