Thread: Kinder Enrolment for 2009

Default Kinder Enrolment for 2009

Hayley is almost 2 and I have just found out that enrolments for 4 yr old kinder open in May this year for 2009. That is fine, but the problem is that Hayley was born in March, so I am not sure when to send her. Do I send her when she is almost 4 or do I wait another year? She is pretty bright for her age, well I think so.
    What do you think?

If it were me, and I thought milo was ready, I'd send him early - the thing is it depends when you are planning on sending her to school, as you only get 1 year of govt funded kinder, and its supposed to be the year before the child starts school.

Would she be starting school in 2010 or 2011?

Can you enrol her and then delay it for a year if you don't think she's up to it?

Or alternatively, can you book her in for 3yo kinder in 2009 and then 4yo in 2010?

I would send her, and then she can always do another year of kindy after that if she isnt ready for school

mooshie Guest

you could always try a deferred kinder program, i know quite a few people who have done this when their child was one of the younger ones.

You get one year of govt funded preschool???
    NSW sux!

Govt funded in the sense that you can go - not that its free.
    You still pay - I think at the moment in my area it varys from $600-$900 p.a. depending on how many hours.

I don't know how 3 year old kinder works, but for more than 1 year of govt subsided kinder you have to do a special application , assessments etc

mooshie Guest

no govt funding for 3yr old kinder unfortunately in victoria

def enrol her and then defer if necessary which means you definately get a place the next year.
    beckles

shiona Guest

For Jan to April birthdays think carefully do you want your child to be the youngest in their class throughout schooling. See Google Kathy Walker for best advice. Make your decision early don't wait and see. Children cope best at school when they are socially and emotionally ready. Shiona
    Early Childhood teacher and mother of 3 boys

shiona Guest

In Victoria 30th April is the cut off date.To attend 4 year old kinder your child needs to turn 4 prior to the 30th of April. So most children will attend 4 year old kinder the year they turn 5. If your childs birthday is Jan to April you have the choice to send them early and be the younger ones in the group (although we encourage you to consider this carefully). It is the same for 3year old kinder and school. 3 year old kinder children need to turn 3 by 30th April generally the previous year, then they will be turning 4 the year they attend 3year old kinder. Turning 5 in the year they attend 4 year old kinder and turning 6 the year they start school, called prep in victoria. Shiona

Dinky I thought you had til the end of 1st term to remove them if they werent coping (to still be eligible for Govt funding)... I know my sister was told her daughter didnt have the social skills & so she stopped going to Kider (I think it was 4yr old) & is redoing it this year!!

shiona Guest

Yes thats right there is that option, however its even better if you can make that decision before having a go at kinder. some younger children do cope with the kinder program however have more difficulties coping with the expectations of school. A kinder teacher will also reccommend if a second year of kindregarten would be more beneficial if your child is not ready for school. Some schools will reccommend repeating prep or early grades however this can affect children's self esteem. If making a decision early and letting your child turn 6 as they start school can avoid this potential issue why not consider it carefully. I have not heard any parent regret making this decision, however I personally know many who regret sending them to school as the youngest in the class. Shiona