Thread: A little woohoo and a related question re: FDC..

paradise lost Guest

Talking A little woohoo and a related question re: FDC..

Well, as many of you know i've been a single mum for 2 years now. DP recently accepted a job very close to me and thus as of this winter i will no longer be a single mama!!! We're going to buy a house together

Now i'm chuffed to bits but it strikes me now that i've done the figures that me working would be a very good idea. However i've been very consciously staying at home with DD because i believe it is the best thing for our family.

SO, i'm currently looking into registering as a Childminder (FDC).

I was kind of thinking of an "angle" to take, because though i'm tolerant of mainstream, i'm not parenting that way, and it would make no sense for me to CC a baby in my care while simultaneously No-Crying my own babies...

So my question is, if you were looking for FDC and saw and ad reading:

Place available for child aged 6months-4years with Registered Childminder. We are a Gently Parenting family looking for another littly to join the fun. I am breastfeeding friendly (happy to store and feed EBM following current research on preserving nutrition), AP friendly (willing to baby-wear infants under 18months/10kg), cloth nappy friendly (parent launders!) and i employ Gentle Discipline techniques to resolve our conflicts. Crafts and outings are normal life not special treats! Rates negotiable depending on individual need.
    would you call me?

I'm aware by looking at the papers here that not very many FDCers are willing to go the AP-style route because it is so labour-intensive, but i'm USED to wearing a kid, so if the parents want the baby worn then i'll wear! I have my own Kari-me but would make a few more meitai's to cater for bigger kids. Also i REALLY think it's important to support BFing mums so i was thinking of having a seperate freezer for mums to store their EBM in and giving a no-nuke guarantee (no microwave) to keep the goodness in the milk. I don't mind cloth nappying but i don't think i'd wash. I think i'd charge a tiny bit extra (like 20pounds one off or 1pound a week) for a nappy bin/sanitiser system or ask them to provide their own lockable bin for pailing. I was also thinking of charging a tiny bit over the odds (like 3 or so pounds a week) to cover craft materials.

I basically think FDC should offer what a parent could, so museum trips, shopping trips, crafts, park visits, etc. etc.

This all reads a bit far-fetched, but i'm kind of toning it down - if i have another one i would SERIOUSLY consider offering wet-nursing too!

Bx

Matryoshka Guest

I'd call you amazing!!! Have never come accross anything like this where i live, its mainstream FDC all the way. i hope you have much success with this venture

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Aw Bx I'd be calling you in less time than it would take to think about it. One of the things I spoke about with the director of my daycare was that they would be in line with my parenting ideals, ie no CCing, no follow on formula, no smacking (not that they would) but you just don't have those sorts of gaurantees with FDC unless you know for a fact the carer has raised their child like that too. So if you were in Perth, I would happily hand Charlie over to you knowing you are a Gentle Parenting mumma to your child! I know you'd look after my son with as much care as well.

Wow B, I'd definitely take you up; and call you supermamma!
    It's a totally fantastic idea!

Yeah Bx, I would call you!
    Congrats on the house buying too! WooHoo!

Nic

I'd call you in a heartbeat. You wont have trouble finding a family who wants you, rest assured.

oh bec i wiiiisssshhh you were near me.
    i'd have ds over at your place before you'd finish reading this post! lol

Why don't your relocate out here? Nice weather, lots of mums who want your kind of daycare....

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Sounds great!!!

When you buy a house why dont you move to melbourne!!!!!!! LOL

Good luck with it all

You sound perfect, I would be stoked to come across a FDC mum like that.

Don't fancy moving to Sydney by any chance?

Definately! Book in with you!

Best of luck to you!

I'd call you. I'm sure you would have many people interested!

whats your number ??!!

I'd be on your doorstep in two seconds flat
    Good luck!

Congrats Bec and I would say you will be inundated with calls hun!!! Good on you!

Bec- Sydney would be great for you guys!!! Congrats on the house buying too.