Thread: Montesorri or Day Care??

Question Montesorri or Day Care??

My son is 3 (5th Jan) and I have just pulled him out of his current day care due to us moving half an hour further away.

My Mum is telling me to look for a Montessori school because he gets so bored in general day care and I need to send him somewhere that has a more structured day. Can someone tell me what the difference is? He is a very smart little boy and needs to be occupied all the time. I heard that Montessori has smaller classes??

If anyone could let me know that would be great. We are on the Gold Coast.

The best thing to do would be to call them, and ask to come in for a look. Its hard to describe exactly how they work!
    I have just tried to get my daughter into the Mont playgroup, but we have ended up going for a Steiner one as we couldnt' get in til later in the year for the Monti one.

I went to a Montessori school - abeit 24 odd years ago now... But I do remember we had specific tasks to do and you wored at your own pace - so if you are more advanced at something, you progress quicker at that particular thing. Also the children chose what they wanted to do. I know things must have changed but I did love it and will be looking to get my bub into a Monti school when thery are old enough. I started there at age 3.

My son is turning 4 in May and has been attending a montessori school since he was 2 (in playgroup). He's now in "childrens' house' and attends part time at the moment (9-12) although he has the option of going full time.

The school is great and the teaching philosophy is wonderful. They're free to explore their own creativity and they can focus on what they enjoy doing. They have cooking lessons, they get taught life skills (washing dishes, cleaning shoes, crockery..etc.) They day is structured but there is a sense of freedom in the classroom. It's not so much sit down and do this, they can find a 'job' they want too do and are free to do it.

I couldn't speak highly enough of the montessori schools.

This is the one Nicholas attends. It has some info on the the schools philosophy. Hope it
    helps

Riverlands Montessori School

Here is a little info from the page.

The Montessori Method:
    Maria Montessori was the first woman in Italy to receive a medical degree. She worked in the fields of psychiatry, education and anthropology. She believed that each child is born with a unique potential to be revealed, rather than as a "blank slate" waiting to be written upon.
    Maria developed a method of education based on the observation of children. She achieved remarkable results which attracted word wide attention. Dr Montessori observed that children passed through successive stages of growth during which their development is guided by special sensitivites. She created an educational environment that assisted the child by meeting these inner needs. Such an environment does not encourage the use of rewards or punishments as movivators for children's learning.
    By attending to the child's motor, sensory and social functions the Montessori method aims to develop each child's concentration, self discipline, orderliness, desire to learn, independence and sociability.
    Maria Montessori wrote "Scientific observation has established that education is not what the teacher gives; education is a natural process spontaneously carried out by the human individual, and is acquired not by listening to words but by experiences upon the environment"
    Her message always was to turn one's attention to the child, to "follow the child". Because of this and the observation guidelines left by her, Dr Montessori's ideas will never become obsolete.
    Last edited by christy; March 17th, 2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: link removed, please read forum guidelines

mummy_in_training Guest

hey mumma bear

I know you live on the coast too, so I would be interested in hearing any reports or info you get on the montessori schools. my email is [email protected]... I really want to sus out all options for my bubs (who will be in this big wide world in 4 weeks), I want to know what my step will be when he is 3, and then when he reaches that I worry about which school. But just want to be organised.

Hey mummy in training,

I send my DD to the same montessori school as mummabear sends her DS.
    Its a great little centre. The ladies there r fantastic.
    Mya only goes 1 day a week, but i can see a possitive change in her behaviour & the way she interacts with other kids. She never wants to leave when i go to pick her up in the arvo.

Good luck with the remainder of ur pg, not long to go now!

mummy_in_training Guest

what is the name of the school she goes to

its called @wecare Mudgeeraba, they have a website, u should check it out

mummy_in_training Guest

thanks amy, you never guess, I actually was on there site last night, I went down today and ironically enough they showed me through all the rooms, and they pointed to this little girl and said she only comes one day and she has already made great improvements, maybe that was your child.... anyway I love it, its a calm emviroment , the girls are great and I love the fact this little child after his nap (i think he was a boy) started packing up his bedtime gear... and how they learn all useful things for themselves, my mother brought us up to be very independent and that is how I want my boy to grow up. I am a single mum who will be back to uni after bubs partime and going back to work full time, so i really am happy as this centre seems calm, a great learning enviroment, and great frindly staff. I am feeling alot more comfortable now,
    thanks girls for putiing me onto the montessori program,

Oh it could of been Mya lol thats funny.
    It really is a lovely centre,so i'm glad u liked it I also love how they r learning useful things & being independent.
    Godd luck with everything!

Hi,

I've been considering sending my DD (3) to a montessori preschool for a while but circumstances haven't been right. It looks like it might be possible soon. I really like the philosophy, went to an info evening and I intend on going for an observation very soon. I'm really after feedback from people with children in the program. What benefits, disadvantages etc (anything really) do you see? Does anyone have experience with the Montessori preschools in Newcastle?
    Last edited by Sim; March 17th, 2007 at 09:57 PM. Reason: spelling!

mam Guest

Hello, my daughter attends the @wecare Montessori in Bonogin, its owned and operated by the same people. My daughter loves going to school and the benefit to me is that it is a child care centre so those days when I just cant get there at 3pm I dont have to 'cos they stay open to 6 or 630pm. Also, I receive Child Care Benefits so even though they have a full time cost I only pay a Gap fee and the govt kicks in the rest. U should check out their website www.montessorigoldcoast.com.au and head for the Montessori Films its ace.
    We love montessori and the owner and her team are invaluable. Just go in there, they are not caught up in all the 'have to's" they are really flexible and accomodating.

mam