Thread: Prep Question ?

Default Prep Question ?

Hi

Can somebody tell me what year Brooke will start Prep. She turns 2 this july 27th.

She is allready booked into her local C&K ( kindy ) which I assume she will start in Jan 2009? is that right.

So prep will be 2010? the year she turns 5?

then grade 1 will be 2011?

CONFUSINGGGGGGGGGG

thank you.

That sounds about right to me. In QLD the cut off date is the end of December, so that sounds right to me.

okay, thank you

Hi Sunflowers... the Qld Govt has changed the cut off date, so it is now the 30 June. This is from Ed Qld's web site:

Children born between 1 July 2002 and 30 June 2003 will be eligible for Prep in 2008.
    Children born between 1 July 2003 and 30 June 2004 will be eligible for Prep in 2009.
    Children born between 1 July 2004 and 30 June 2005 will be eligible for Prep in 2010.
    Children born between 1 July 2005 and 30 June 2006 will be eligible for Prep in 2011.

So Brooke will be eligible for Prep in 2011, and grade 1 in 2012

Hope that helps

Are them dates the same for Vic??
    Liam will be 4 in Sept, so 4 1/2 by the time school starts next year. Does anyone know if I can start him in prep next year or will he have to wait until 2009??

Raven

thanks christine.

pebbles2820 Guest

cut off is usually July so he will be starting 2009.

Thanks Penny, I asked Kayla's teacher today and she said the same thing.
    Oh Well, looks like he'll have to wait another year.

Raven

Thanks Kate
    Looking at them dates I will have all 3 Kids at school and my days free to do whatever I want by 2010/2011. WOOHOO

Raven

shiona Guest

Kate, where did you get those dates ? What makes that confusing is the Jan to April birthdates. As kindergarten teachers we are trying to encourage parents to think carefully about children with birthdates from Jan to April. For example in Victoria if your child turns 4 on the 25th April they are eligble to attend 4year old kinder, however they will be the youngest in the group and most of the other children will be turning 5 that year. We recomend discussing your child's situation with your kindergarten teacher. Perhaps it would be better to send you child as they turn 5 on the 25th April. Current Research from tasmania (Australian Early Childhood Journal "Every Child") shows the younger children don't cope as well when they start school. I know there still has to be youngest children in the group, but if you have the option why make things harder. It is also particulary important decision for boys. Girls with the same birthdate can be up to 6mths advanced than a boy in their development. All children progress and mature at different rates, for example some walk at 10months up to 18months for others. At kindergarten we asses school readiness in the areas of social, emotional , physical, thinking and communication skills. Sorry this got so long. Shiona Passionate Early Childhood Teacher and mother of three boys all at school.