Thread: preschool and long-day childcare center

Default preschool and long-day childcare center

Hi there;

I have 3 and half years old toddler who is currently attending long-day approved/professionally managed childcare center, only twice a week.

About the same time 3 years ago, I also enrolled my child to one of the local council managed preschool.

The placement becomes only available recently. Also twice a week.

I have read many posts from this forum about the difference between preschool and long-day childcare center.

My general understanding about the major difference is that preschool offers structural programs and align its attendance/teaching pattern more closely to kindergartden (i.e. prepare them for the kindergarden) than childcare (primarily look after your children).

However, from our engagement with the current childcare center and initial visual inspection/conversation with the preschool teacher, I can not see any major difference as illustrated above.

Perhaps because when I visit the preschool, I did not visit the right timing and mis-judge what I see or maybe the approved childcare center now days has lift up its quality by offering some kinds of structural activities, not just merely taking care of your children. Hence it closed the gap between preschool and approved childcare center.

Could anyone advice whether there is any significant difference between preschool and approved childcare in terms of activities and education values they offer.

Thank you in advance of your suggestions.

In my area, there isn't much of a difference. Theres practicaly no difference if the child care offers a pre-school program.

The major difference I guess would be the hours, some 'pre-schools' only offer care during session times, in a centre you'd get the full advantage of the long day care hours. Some may ask you come 5 days a fortnight, whereas at long day care you can choose your days, two or three times a week depending on what you need from them.
    Most 'pre-schools' would also be lead by a qualified teacher too I'd guess, and at along day care centre the programs may be lead by a group leader or a qualified teacher (the centre I work at offers Pre-prep with a teacher, we are a long day care with Pre-prep program).

Ok my braiin just left, but I know Kindy/Pre-school programs should follow a certain framework (there is the Early Years Learning Framework which they have to follow and another on specifically for Kindy/Pre-school/Pre-prep that I have completely forgotten the name of). Some long day care centres running a pre-prep/pre-school program will follow both these frameworks. If they do, I can't see a huge difference between them and a stand alone Pre-school.

In my area, there isn't much of a difference. Theres practicaly no difference if the child care offers a pre-school program.

The major difference I guess would be the hours, some 'pre-schools' only offer care during session times, in a centre you'd get the full advantage of the long day care hours. Some may ask you come 5 days a fortnight, whereas at long day care you can choose your days, two or three times a week depending on what you need from them.
    Most 'pre-schools' would also be lead by a qualified teacher too I'd guess, and at along day care centre the programs may be lead by a group leader or a qualified teacher (the centre I work at offers Pre-prep with a teacher, we are a long day care with Pre-prep program).

Ok my braiin just left, but I know Kindy/Pre-school programs should follow a certain framework (there is the Early Years Learning Framework which they have to follow and another on specifically for Kindy/Pre-school/Pre-prep that I have completely forgotten the name of). Some long day care centres running a pre-prep/pre-school program will follow both these frameworks. If they do, I can't see a huge difference between them and a stand alone Pre-school.

Thank you very much for your answer.

Much appreciated