Thread: QLD and 'Prep' Schooling...please help...

Question QLD and 'Prep' Schooling...please help...

Hi
    Im a mum that has moved from NSW to QLD...
    My first two children started school in NSW, my son was born in Nov 1996, and started kindy in 2002, which made him start school the year he was turning 6.
    Same with my daughter was born Nov 1998, and started kindy in 2004...

I also think the age cut-off for schooling is also different in the two states?

When we moved to QLD, they both went up a grade.

My third child was born in May 2003 and Ive been told he should start 'prep' at the school next year (2008)...
    which would mean he is starting big school a year before he would in NSW...

Could someone who understands what prep is, and how it differs to kindy (which is the start of schooling) in NSW please explain to me what it all means???

Im so lost about it all,

Besides, my son, is so little his clothes are still a size 2...lol...And I wouldnt imagine they make school clothes that size!!!

But, then after all, 11 months is a long time before he starts, Is there anyone else out there that has little ones born in 2003 that are starting prep in QLD next year???

Sorry If it all sounds like mumbo jumbo....I sure hope someone can help me understand...

Thanks, looking forward to some replies!
    Kel

My son is born in Oct of 2003 and doesn't start until 2009 cause the cutoff is 30 June 2003. ie children born July 2002 to June 2003 start in prep in 2008, those July 2003 to June 2004 start 2009 etc.

Don't know much else about it yet though cause we've only just moved here ourselves but there are definitely others who should be able to help cause in the past I've seen other threads around about it.

Hi Kel

Yes there are a few Qld Prep threads around, mainly because this is the first year we've had prep and it's still a bit confusing

Here's what I posted in the other thread...
    Children born between 1 July 2002 and 30 June 2003 will be eligible for Prep in 2008.
    Children born between 1 July 2003 and 30 June 2004 will be eligible for Prep in 2009.
    Children born between 1 July 2004 and 30 June 2005 will be eligible for Prep in 2010.
    Children born between 1 July 2005 and 30 June 2006 will be eligible for Prep in 2011.
    So, yes, it does mean your little guy will go to prep in 2008 as his birthday falls before 30 June. Hope that helps

Thanks so much for your help...
    It does make things a little more understandable, I dont know why It's not the same nation-wide though!
    So, Im guessing that prep is equivalent to Kindergarten in NSW?
    I wonder why they start earlier here in QLD?

Prep is like a little like kindergarten, Kel. Its a play based program, so there should be lots of fun things like preschool in NSW. Good luck.

Thanks Nat

Hi Kel, Caassie will be starting Prep next year too. From what I can gather it's not very full on like School, it's very gentle, the only thing that is similar is it's 5 days like school (bring it on!!!).

It would be great if they were at Prep together but you're the other end of the Coast I think?

Hi Rachel.
    Oh, thanks for that, It's just he's so small & so shy, and I couldnt see him amongst all those bigger kids lol
    But If it's more gentle hands on play based learning....Like QLD kindy I guess, then Im sure he'll be fine.
    Guess It's time to let my baby go

He'll be going to Ashmore State school, We're central GC.

Mine are going to Pimpama STate School, we're in Northern GC

I know what you mean, Cassie very small too but she's got a big personality and I know she'll be fine!

It's hard to let them go though, isn't it. It almost makes me cry when DS walks into school with his big back pack on!

HI,

Queensland education have a website with more information /contact numbers on it. If this link doesn't work type queensland education into google. * link removed, please google education queensland*

I have friends at Pimpama SS. I have heard that it is a great little school. The principal has a good reputation for being down to earth and approachable. The teachers and families are very close knit.

Prep is less 'formal learning' and more 'social /developmental learning' apparently. They will still introduce letters / sounds / number / colours etc, but they are done in a 'fun' way.

Good luck.
    Last edited by MistyFying; March 13th, 2007 at 12:09 PM. Reason: remove link

Thankyou so much seventh_heaven!!!
    I checked out the website and It told me everything I need to know!!!

Seventh Heaven, I love Pimpama. The Principle is great and DS loves it there. It's a beautiful little school too

Are you on the Gold Coast?

Hi Kel
    My eldest daughter started Prep this year. It is a play based program, but they do try to include them in the rest of the school. (at least at our school they do) They go to music, HPE and Library classes and join in with the school for assembly. At our school they mix with the grade 1's and 2's at play time, and they still have a rest time.
    I think they are pushing our littlies to grow up a little too fast, but my daughter really loves it, and enjoys being a part of the 'big school'. (If it were up to me i would be happy for her to attend kindy for the next 12 years lol!)