Thread: Sickness and daycare

Default Sickness and daycare

Hi,

My DD has been in daycare 2 days per week for the past 9 months. Over winter and continuing up until now she has had a flu or cold every month and it seems like she is only going for half the amount of time.

I really love most aspects of her daycare, especially social and skill developement, however, her sickness is extending to making DH and I sick and I feel like I am wasting money.

I don't want to pull her out but I am thinking of reducing her days to once per week. With DD number 2 due in 4 wks and no family to help out I really feel that I need at least one day "break" per week.

Anyone got any opinions or advice?

DD and DS got sick heaps over winter and they go to childcare 2 days a week. Apparently its just because all the kids pass it around so more likly to get it. Our kids, especially DD were getting sick nearly every week. They'd go one week and have the next off because they were sick with soemthing or other. They are fine now which i am told is because they've built up a stronger immune system to handle all the bugs better than when they started. So the only advice i have is to just ride it out because that's what we did. I know that is hard though, especially while you have bub due so soon. i nearly pull our kids out too but i'm glad i didn't now.

How long has she been going for? I've found that my kids have gotten sick for the first few months then it seems to slow down. It was especially bad this winter though I would say stick with it but it depends on how much you are paying (and wasting). The other thing to think about is that she may well start giving things to the newe bubby when she comes. DD2 has been getting colds since she was 2 weeks old - but I guess you have to expect that sort of thing with older siblings.

Hi Bekz!
    I really do understand you wanting to limit Sara's exposure to illness but I also understand you need to balance that with time out for yourself. My DD1 went mostly to family day care and I found that she had a lot fewer illnesses than other little friends who attended day care centres. I guess it's because in FDC there is a limited number of potential germ-carriers! If you choose your FDCarer carefully they will provide just as many activities etc as a centre, with the added bonus of being able to cater to your child more as an individual.

Maybe you could (with the money you might save) hire a nanny for one day a week to look after her at home to give you a break? I've worked in childcare and yes, illnesses can settle down but never totally. I'm a fulltime SAHM with no friends or family to help and I know what you mean for your "sanity"... we are working towards getting a Mother's Assitant because I don't want to use child care outside the home. Cutting her time back to one day a week won't reduce her exposure that much... Family Day Care could be good too, if you could find the right place.

Hi Bec,

I hear you hon. My little one has been sick since June. We finally started to get clear of it about a month ago and then she got gastro followed by another cold (which lasted half the time as normal - go immune system!). I would stay stick with it if you can afford too. I was at my wits end with DD constantly being sick but this last cold showed me how beneficial it has been for her immune system.
    I also like the idea of home help if you can afford it...

MG

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    Hi Bekz!
    I really do understand you wanting to limit Sara's exposure to illness but I also understand you need to balance that with time out for yourself. My DD1 went mostly to family day care and I found that she had a lot fewer illnesses than other little friends who attended day care centres. I guess it's because in FDC there is a limited number of potential germ-carriers! If you choose your FDCarer carefully they will provide just as many activities etc as a centre, with the added bonus of being able to cater to your child more as an individual.
    I agree with Mary on this, my kiddos go to FDC two days a week - their carer used to work in centres and has early childhood qualifications, she's also bilingual and is teaching the kids a second language. There are only 4 children there, and two of them are mine!
    My DD got sick quite a bit her first year in care then it just stopped. I've been very lucky with DS, he hasnt' got sick at all - I can only put it down to the fact that he only sees two other kids there and he's still breastfed.
    We love family daycare, I think its so under rated as a child care option.
    Hope you can work something out that suits your family.

thanks ladies for your responses.

Unfortunately family daycare is really hard to come by in Brisbane. The waiting list is huge and they usually take "working" mums over sahm. I could do some investigation and maybe even put her name down on a waiting list..who knows some thing might come up.

In the mean time I guess I will just persist with the daycare centre. She really loves going and they can do activities that I just would not think of doing or have the time to.

I have started DD on Olive leaf extract and tissue salts to help boost her immune system!!!!

Bek, have you checked out the Griffith uni website? I contacted the family daycare through them via email and they came back to me with a woman available at Robertson (mind you, this was back in March) who could start with Maddy almost immediately.

I do hear you on the sickness thing. Maddy has had a cough & cold on and off (more on than off!) since March but we're just trying to ride it out. For Maddy it's the cold & cough thing; for other children it's middle-ear infections or tonsilitis. They all seem to have something they're more susceptible to. Everyone at work advises me that it's a 6-12 month thing and then she'll be better for it. Trying hard to trust the experienced parents! *L*