Thread: taking sick kids to daycare

Default taking sick kids to daycare

i thought i would just have a little vent.

I dont want this to come out wrong or rude but i see people sayin how they get put out with their chicldren ebing sent home because they r sick. well i am a carer and i thought i woudl just tell peopel abotu my morning.

i had one parent turn up and tell em that their chicl had been sick over the weekend but he seems fine now. when she left all he did was lay on the floor nearly falling asleep. so we start mornign tea and he fountain spews all over the table splashign all th other kids. Then the smell maes everyone else start throwing up including me.

So i stand there nearly in tears thinkin how i am going to get all this cleaned up and where to start first. It really wasnt something i needed to deal with seens i had a crappy weekend with m/s and headache and a sore neck meaning no sleep. And to top it all off nwo i am thinkin i hope i havnt caught anythign off him because really i cant afford to get sick at the mo.

So i guess wat i am trying to say is.... when ur child is sick or u suspect they r sick dont take them to daycare because it is better for u to have a day off then to bring your child and they infect the other kids and the carer and then u will have to tkae a week off because when i get sick no one can come.

Hey Dan

I totally agree with you...I am a parent with one child in daycare, and his health comes first to me. I want to be with him if he is unwell, and generally he wants nothing but his mummy. I too get really upset when parents take their kids to daycare when they know they are not well...spreading it to other kids and the carers.

the day care my little man attends is very strict on health of kiddies...parents are informed before they commence at the day care what the rules are and the director is firm, consistent and very particular...I love it

I'm so sorry you had such a terrible day...and I hope that no one else got sick...

xx yogababy

I'mso so to hear you have had a horrible day and i can never understand why ppl take sick kids to day care. I know a lot of it could be because they won't get paid for going and also you get charged when your child is sick so many might think well i am paying for this so i am going to send them.

The first time Kimberley went to day care she came home with a bug and we was all sick for 4 days because of it. I think though with her going to day care and mixing with other kids then she is hardly sick now and when my younger two have been sick with gastro she has been fine.

i think everyone in day care knows exactly how you feel! but since having my DD i can sort of understand how parents feel due to a) most centres still charge their ridiculous prices regardless of the child being sick with a medical note and b) my partner and i get guilty and pressured from bosses and co-workers who feel that we are letting them down.

on the other hand... since i now have hannah.... i also get even more annoyed cause i do keep her home when she is sick, yet others keep bringing their sick ones in and hannah keeps getting sick so i keep having time off but they never do! iykwim.

bottom line is, keep sick kids home and it will be better for everyone!

yeah but i am not a center i am a home based carer and i dont make them pay their part for the day the chicld is sick cause i still get the ccb part cause most times it is only like $10 the parent has to pay so i tell them dont worry. because i am tryin to make it that they dont feel like they r payign for nothign so they bring them anyways but it still happens.

I used to work in daycare and one time this mum turned up with her daughter wh was obviously very sick.. when she handed her to me i could feel her temp was very high so I spoke with the director before the mother left.. The poor child.. I think what irked me the most was she wasn't going to work. she complained when we told her to take her child home and said oh I was going to have a total rest day today.

for you. I hope you didn't catch anything..

I kept Matilda home because she was a bit "off" today. I can never understand dropping off a child who is sick, its not fair on them.

I find that the childcare system sucks for this... you have to pay whether you go or not. Not to mention that some parents don't get paid for time off work and / or are pressured not to take too many sick days. So I can def understand it from that point of view.

And in her defense stomach bugs are so unpredictable. Emerson had one once and he was fine for 2 days so I sent him back to childcare and by midday they'd rung me to pick him up because he was vomitting and had diarrea again. Those viral bugs are just awful... you think they're fine and then suddenly they're sick again.

Personally I realise that bugs fly around child cares like there's not tomorrow which is why over uni holidays I'm cutting Em's days back.

You poor thing must have felt so sick though!

Oh you poor thing, I hear you! I am a teacher and suffer with the same thing in my classroom. I know that sometimes bugs are unpredictable or have long incubation periods but if your child is obviously ill then keep them home!
    I am the same as you, what parents dont understand is that teachers/careers are under pressure to be at work and have families as well, my poor DD used to get it from both sides sick from daycare and sick from bugs I picked up at school- if everyone kept a sick child home for just a few days then everyone would be much better off!

I'll admit and say that ive been rung up because Lily or Charlie has the runs or is sick. But they were perfectly fine when i dropped them off. Sometimes sickness just comes on very suddenly. I do make sure that they are better for a good 3 days before i send them back. It is a PITA though to have to pay even if they arn't there. Sending your child there while they are obviously sick at the time though is wrong.

Thumbs down

This makes me really angry when people do this. I took Emily to the health nurse last month and she caught gastro, from the health nurse place!!?? Apparently some idiot had taken their 8 mth old in there with gastro and didnt say anything about him having it until she took his nappy off to have him weighed and he poo'd everywhere - who does this???????????? That poor little kid. Why would you take your sick child out of their house anyway - when im sick i just want to stay at home. Not only that, taking them to daycare to pass it onto someone else then most likely just to get it back again a week later......what goes through peoples heads sometimes is a real worry. Hope you dont end up sick sassy123.

Totally agree with you Saay, i really hope you dont get sick too. i am about to start puting Archie into Daycare and there is no way i would leave him there if he was sick, firstly i couldn't do it to him all he wants when he is sick is cuddles from mummy, plus i couldn't do it knowing he would infect all the other kids.

one thing people don't think about is even if their child is a bit off or a bit sick than their immune systems are weakened & they can pick up more nasty bugs & virus' while they are there.