thread: Using toilet in Kinder ... How will my 3yr old cope ??

smiles4u Guest

Question Using toilet in Kinder ... How will my 3yr old cope ??

Hi all,

My DD will be 3 soon and she wears undies all day, never any accidents (she wears a nappy in arvo sleep if she has a sleep/nap & then a nappy on at night sleep).

As she can't reach our toilet at home even with the step provided (we can't have a ladder as it slips on the tiles) ... she has to ask me or DP to go to the toilet then we pop her on (with her own added toilet seat) ... she is fine getting off the toilet seat with the step & she is independent in wanting to wipe herself (though she keeps going to wipe back to front) & doesn't wipe her bottom properly after a poo (which is understandable for her age).

Anyway, i have decided for her to start Kindergarten next term in July to give her time in being toilet trained that little bit better by then (i hope) ...

My question is how do 3 year old children at Kinder go to the toilet ?

Do they go supervised ? ... For example to make sure they wipe themselves properly, like after a poo

I never looked at the toilet at the Kinder on enrollment but i'm imagining they are low enough for 3 year old's to sit on by themselves ??

The 3year old Kinder session is only one day a week for 2& half hours ... i just don't want her to feel uncomfortable in any way

Thanks for any kind replies

Cheers from Lorelle & lil Cendrine xox

Dec 2008

The toilets at kinder are small, kid size ones. My youngest was (and still is) funny about going ot toilets away frm home but she had no issues at Kinder. My kids always waited until they got home to poo. At our kinder we had a specific toilet time where the kids were supervised. I don't know if all Kinders do that though. I'm sure if she had issues one of the teachers would help her.

Mar 2007
    Paradise

When Sarah first started TTing at Childcare she was too short for the little toilets. They had a step there so she could get on and off by herself. Ask if the Kinder has a step for the smaller kids, and if not ask if you can supply one for DD to use. She may grow enough by the time she starts but if she doesn't then that would probably be the best way to do it.

Sep 2008
    Croydon, Victoria

Also, most kinders have 'open' toilets meaning they dont have doors. Ive never really had a problem with this and think it makes it easier for the staff to help the kids if they need it. It also allows the staff to supervise without butting in if the child doesnt want any help, or if the child is mucking around....
    If you are concerned you can speak to the teachers and they will make a note to keep an eye on her. More than likely she will be fine to go on her own.

PS- I am loving my 2.5 hrs to myself on Fridays!!! Im sure you will too

Mar 2008
    Sunny QLD!

Honestly, as for the helping her with wiping goes... i think that totally depends on the kinder.

My DD was 3 when she started, and also was the same as your DD with number 2's. I did ask for them to watch for this...... whether they did, i am not sure. I do think DD might have started waiting until she came home to do anything more than wee's.

All you can do is ask.....

As for the size of the toilets, they are pretty small... should be ok!!!

Goodluck!

ETA: Ubba- only 2.5hrs??? this is the second time this week i have heard of kinder being small (time wise).... My DD's kinder goes from 9.15am to 2.45pm!!

Mar 2004
    Sparta

They have low doors at my boy's CC and an open door policy

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

Yeah, ours is small toilets. DS says there is no toilet paper?? I'm sure there is.. but perhaps they have to ask??? He usually uses a square to dab his doodle after a wee LOL. He stands to wee, so has no problem running up to the loo and weeing, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't poo'd at preschool yet.

I think they line the kids up for the toilet a couple of times a day. After one rest time he woke up wet, and I mentioned to them that we're only just getting out of daysleep nappies, so they make sure he goes before lying down (if he decides to lie down that is) I don't actually know what would happen if he poo'd.. i haven't bothered getting him to wipe himself yet LOL.

Pap - ours is a full school day too, or just short of it.

Jan 2009

We have little toilets that most children can get onto themselves, definitely the vast majority of 3 year olds could. Toileting is assisted by staff, though in my centre, children are encouraged to try to wipe after a poo themselves, my staff will stand there and give the child instruction in how to do it then finish the job for them. We are getting children ready for school when no one will be on hand to do the wiping. We also have low hand basins and soap, etc because children are taught to wash hands regularly throughout the day.
    Children are also reminded at regular times to go to the toilet - before mtea, during moring play, before going to bed, when getting up, etc - even though they aren't having accidents at home, they often do at the cnetre because they are just so busy playing with others and all the new stuff that they forget.

If you have concerns, please talk to your child's teacher, they will be more than willing to help and should take your child to show them the toilets etc when you arrrive for your first day.

Jan 2009

Yeah, ours is small toilets. DS says there is no toilet paper?? I'm sure there is.. but perhaps they have to ask??? He usually uses a square to dab his doodle after a wee LOL. He stands to wee, so has no problem running up to the loo and weeing, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't poo'd at preschool yet.

I think they line the kids up for the toilet a couple of times a day. After one rest time he woke up wet, and I mentioned to them that we're only just getting out of daysleep nappies, so they make sure he goes before lying down (if he decides to lie down that is) I don't actually know what would happen if he poo'd.. i haven't bothered getting him to wipe himself yet LOL.

Pap - ours is a full school day too, or just short of it.
    There has to be toilet paper avaialbe at all times - we had a docs inspection one time and someone had just emptied one roll - there was still 3 others, but she made me replace it in front of her!

Sep 2008
    Croydon, Victoria

Paps- Our Kinder has 2 different 3 yo sessions. The one my DS is in is 2.5 hrs on a Friday, the other session is 2.5 hrs 2 days a week. I would have prefered the double session but it was a last minute thing enrolling him and we missed out. Next year when he goes (4 yo) it is 15 hrs over 3 days. Then the year after - SCHOOL!!!! (but I will have a new bubs at the end of the year.....hehe, no rest for the wicked!

Mar 2008
    Sunny QLD!

Oh well dirrrr...

DD is in (4yo) group. She was 3 when she started though but turned 4 not long after. DIrrr me! lol

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2005
    Blue Mountains

Pap - ours is 3yr old.. and you can have either 1 full day, or 2 full days. They offer no half days at this preschool.

Ausgirl - yeah, I'm sure there is loo paper LOL. Just what DS has said to me once. Maybe it's just that he doesn't bother using it when he wees at school.. at home he grabs a square