Thread: At what age did your little one start day care?

Default At what age did your little one start day care?

I called the day care on Thursday just to double check they received my waiting list forms which I had sent in. I am due to go back to work in two and a half months and my bub will be in care two days per week.

Well the Daycare told me that they have one of the days I need available now and to secure the day I would have to take the day now.

My little on will only be four and a half months old.

I know it could be better to get into a routine now so if she cathces any sickness's etc I can be at home with her but I just wasn't expecting it so soon.

It comes as a shock doesn't it. The same thing happened to me with DS1, except it was for all days. I ended up taking the spot and going back to work early (as I needed to afford the spot). If I hadn't taken it, I most likely wouldn't have got him in when I needed to.

It worked out well for us. Jack was 7 months when he started, and my second son started at 8 months (again, that's when the spot came up). I was lucky that it was a new centre opening up so I had a few weeks from accepting the spot until he started, and that gave me time to get my head around it. It did work well for us though. I think sometimes it's easier when they are young as they adapt more easily.

GL with your decision, it's not an easy one.

Hi,

I don't have any personal experience with child care but I was just wondering is it worth going with that centre if they only have 1day available out of 2 you need?

I think it is a very personal decision and I know a lot of mums put there kids in care for a week or two before going back to work just so the routine is organised before you actually have to go off to work and IT HAS TO WORK iykwim if you have the run through and something goes wrong it doesn't matter because you don't have to actually go to work.

I suppose it just depends whether or not you actually want to put you baby in childcare yet. Personally, I think I would want to make the most of the months together before going back to work.

Maybe if you want the spot but don't feel ready you could pay for it but not actually take your baby in yet until it gets closer to the time?

I hope that helps looking forward to hearing how you go.

Personally i would find it very hard leaving a my 5 month old at day care now. My DD1 started at 20 months and goes only one day a week and i am happy with this but i am a full time SAHM so i am not in your position (i am not planning on returning to work any time soon) it must be a tough one. I did go back to work when DD1 was 7 months old but DH had her whilst i worked so we did not need to put her into care. I do though have a friend with a 3 month old who had to go back to work for finacial reasons when her DD was 6 weeks old. I only saw her this morning and asked how she was finding it and she is loving it. She bf's so has to send expressed milk and is expressing whilst at work too. She is very happy with the day care. She loves her job but of course she would prefer to be at home with her DD but been a SAHM wanst and option for her. I know in the beginning she was very worried putting her bub in care but today she said things couldnt be better. HTH

One day is better than none as this is the closest day care for us. I have two neices who have been here, one still goes and my SIL has never had any troubles so I am grateful for one day.

I have thought about paying for it and then putting her in closer, which I am happy to do.

I guess what ever decision I make needs to be the best decision for us at the time.

It is hard to think of leaving her with daycare since I have only left her twice for about an hour and a half. BUT we have to do what's best for us and going back to work will mean we have a brighter future and many more opportunities as we will have the money to make ends meet.

Kt, you will find once you take the one day, you will be first in line for the other day when it opens up. With DS2 I needed 2 days and only got 1 at first. I took it and a week later the other day opened up. I think it's great that you have nieces who've been there so you have first hand experience. That's so good to have that peace of mind.

My DD was born in the Feb and started at Child Care the second week of the July for 3 days a week. She had a week at child care with me still at home to help her settle in - we did shorter days and I was available if she was unsettled and needed Mummy (or if Mummy needed her! ).
    A friend of mine is going back to work in June and had her name down at a child care centre since he was 2 weeks old (he was born Nov '07). She received a phone call in Jan stating that if she wanted to secure the days for when she needed them, she needed to start paying for the days now (as in Jan) but couldn't use them!!! She had a week to decide what she wanted to do. She ended up agreeing to their terms as she absolutely needed the spot. SO, don't feel bad about grabbing the spot whilst you can - child care places can be very very hard to secure. If you want to pay for the days but not send your child, then that is ok. But if you want to send them for that one day and help them ease into it - that is fine as well. Good luck with your decision, it isn't easy!

MG

My son went into daycare when he was 8 weeks old. He thrived. Absolutely loved it. I think I had more trouble than he did. He misses it now as we moved towns and I am a SAHM as I am pregnant with my second bundle.

You just need to make sure you are totally comfortable with the people looking after your children and if you can, pop in unannouced every now and then just to make sure that things are OK. I did this and the centre had no problems with it. They actually encouraged it.

Good luck.

Thank you for all your supportive comments. I know she will be fine, it' just me that I have to worry about. I am comfortable with the Day Care Centre and I figure that they have some formal qualifications that I do not have so they must be able to offer something to my little one that I can't.

This is one of the up sides.

I have to focus on the positives!!

Thanks again

Ellibam Guest

makon was about 4 months old and he went 2 days a week,arquene starts on wednesday (nine months and 1 day)
    just be aware that you only get 28 days away plus 2 weeks holidays an then you dont get your ccb and you dont want to use them up just cos you dont want bubs to go(its better to have them for when you or they are sick)

MG what your friend was told i dont think is legal!! she may want to check it

Quote Originally Posted by ellibugs View Post
    makon was about 4 months old and he went 2 days a week,arquene starts on wednesday (nine months and 1 day)
    just be aware that you only get 28 days away plus 2 weeks holidays an then you dont get your ccb and you dont want to use them up just cos you dont want bubs to go(its better to have them for when you or they are sick)

MG what your friend was told i dont think is legal!! she may want to check it
    Sick days with a medical certificate are on top of the CCB allowance - I checked that out last year as DD was sick a bit and I wanted us to go on holidays!
    I also told my friend that it was illegal but she is so desperate for a place which are almost impossible to get in her area that she discussed it with her partner and they agreed to take it. I think they also have their names down somewhere else so they can swap centres... but in the meantime, they need that place.

KTS - it is harder on the Mums. I still have "bad" days and my DD loves the place - she cracks it if she can't go! I cried when she moved up a room too - how pathetic am I? I also randomly drop in, drop in on my way through the town if I'm passing through, pick her up early etc. I've also formed friendships with several of the workers. It also helps me to know that DD is loved by all of the carers - they all want to take her home with them (bet they'd change their mind when she wants to have a 2hr play session at 1am though!). Good luck...

MG

I agree that some days are harder than others. But really the thought of leaving him in day care was worse than the reality. I remember Jack's first week I was expecting to be crying buckets, but then I went to leave each time and he was so busy playing he barely noticed me leaving.

Some kids settle in better than others, and I have been lucky that my boys suit day care. You won't know how your DD will go until you try - she too might really enjoy the extra activities and kids to play with and be fine.

Our DS started daycare 1 day a week at about 5 months. Looking back I think it was a great time to start and he really enjoys his time there. I think if you have found a daycare/carers that you really trust then don't worry about being 4 months. It is more important to find the right carer I think.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

16 months old

one day a week (not a full day).

i visit halfway thru, to breastfeed my bub

i have zero family support and PND, this is a lifeline for me, to have a few hours apart from my baby.

i found it really hard to trust strangers with my baby. There never seems to be the ratio of workers to children, that the centre purports to have. i worry my baby will get forgotten cos most of the other kids are much bigger and louder. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

there is no transparency or reportage, i have to quiz the workers to find out ANYTHING about how my bub has been that day. At least with cloth nappies, i can see for myself how her tummy has been.

i found it really hard to put her into childcare - it's only been a month, and i agonise over it each time i take her.

Do all childcare centres have that soiled nappies smell? that's all i seem to notice when i go in and out that area. The nappies are all changed in a purposebuilt change room, i have no idea how all those disposable nappies (i presume many with poo still inside them going from the smell) are stored and disposed of. My bub is the only one there in cloth nappies (her poo goes down the loo).