Thread: What do you do when they don't want to go?

Default What do you do when they don't want to go?

Ds is nearly 4 and has been going to some form of daycare since he was 18mths old. He was at his last centre for 2yrs and loved going there everyday. He used to ask me to pick him up later so that he could stay longer! Problem is we have moved and now we are having problems. I do not like the new centre he is at but at first he seemed really excited to go there (helped pick it out etc). Despite my problems with the centre I have always been positive about it in front of him. But the last week or so he has started to say he doesn't want to go. Every time I pick him up he says he hasn't had a good day. Today was the worst, he cried and said he didn't want to go to daycare today, he just wanted to stay home. It absolutely brokle my heart.

We have explained to him that mummy and daddy need to go to work to make money to buy toys and things like that but he just doesn't want to go. Today when I dropped him off he just sat near the bag rack, he didn't throw a wobbly or anything, just sat looking so sad and alone. I told the teacher what was going on and she said, "yes I noticed he looked a bit sad today" but went on chatting to the other carers, didn't even go and sit with him or talk to him :-(

Sorry for the big rant but what do I do? Do I try and find another centre (for 5 wks as we are going away then hopefully he will be going to a kindy we love next year) or should we stick it out? is it going to make any difference at another centre? Is this just a stage they all go through? I would love any help/advice you can give.

My guess would be that something has happened to make him feel so sad about going. have you tried to ask him what it is that makes him so sad about going there? I wouldn't try to force the issue with him though incase he feels like he will get into trouble if he tells you kwim? It can be just a stage, but if he was happy to go there at first, I don't think that's what it is.

As for switching to another one for a few weeks, I don't know if that would be a good thing because he will only just settle in and then you will go away and then he will be at a new one, which may only make him more unsettled about going in the future kwim? But then I don't think it would be good for him if you make him continue where he is unless you can sort out why he doesn't like it. Is there any other arrangements you can make for him while you are at work? Family day care or that sort of thing?

Thanks Sherie I called the centre earlier on and they said he was happy and joining in with the other kids. I tried asking him this morning and all he would say is that he just wanted to stay at home with me. we have recently moved and as #2 is on the way I have cut back on my work so that Xander and I can have wed at home together. I'm wondering if this is throwing him off as he thinks I stay home every day??? i don't know. I just want to see that happy little boy again, I feel rotten going to work when he isn't happy :-(

He is possibly just out of sorts with the new house and everything. Maybe he just wants to be closer to you, knowing that you are having another bub?

He is such a crack up - sort of like an adult in a childs body. The next day he went off beautifully, had a great day and I was talking to him and he said "well m um some days I want to go and some days I don't, it's just like that" Can't really argue with that one can I :-)

No, you certainly can't! LOL, what a wise little boy.