Thread: 12 mth old with very red foreskin

Default 12 mth old with very red foreskin

Hi there,

My DS who is just 12 months has a very red foreskin. It was a little red yesterday but today looks much worse. It's not swollen or anything, but does look quite sore. He doesn't mind me touching it though (in fact he got an erection when I was checking it out ) so I don't think it is that bad...

Does anyone have any tips on what I can do to help clear it up? I don't think it is nappy rash cos he doesn't have any anywhere else, so think it must be a little infection. DH likes to put powder (cornstarch) on him after his bath and I'm wondering if perhaps a grain has gotten underneath and caused it...

Also, at what age is it that you should start cleaning underneath it? I thought it wasn't till they are much older, but TBH aren't exactly sure when...

TIA

Default 12 mth old with very red foreskin

It could be a number of things Inc nappy rash or a uti.

If you are worried go get it checked out.

You aren't supposed to pull it back until they do it themselves

My little man had something similar at that age - I think it was just him "growing" and having to accomodate the extra.

Nappy-free time and a salt-water bath will help ...

Thanks ladies, might give the salt water bath a try tonight and see if that helps. If it doesn't clear up I think we might be in for another trip to the GP, we've already been twice in the last week!

My little dude had a similar thing - we think he pulled back his forskin himself while having a play with it lol. We ended up at the Dr and it was infected. Got some cream and all was much better within 24 hours. I would go to the Dr JIC.

My DS had something like that and I asked the very same question on here. I'd also recommend a trip to the GP - never can be too sure.....
    It will probably turn out to be something simple, but hey, if it isn't then you're in the right spot

My DS1 had an infection a couple of weeks ago. It was his first one and i freaked out a bit when he was telling me it hurt to wee. At that initial stage it was obviously hurting him but his doodle didn't look sore. I had no idea what to do

In the end i called Nurse On Call and after explaining his symptoms she just said that i should get it checked out in the next 24 hours. I was worried we'd be in for a bad night but thankfully he was ok.

The next day it was red and inflamed and it did look sore. We went to the Dr's and he said it was a foreskin infection and that these things can just happen. I was wondering if we'd done something or not done something to cause it!? He was put on a dose of antibiotics and within a few days he was much better.

With a little one it can be a bit trickier to know as they can't verbalise if something is hurting him but you may be able to tell if he is uncomfortable when weeing. Definately get it checked out if it's still the same tomorrow i'd say. Especially with the weekend coming up.

Hope it's all sorted out soon