Thread: 7yo daughters weird habit.

Default 7yo daughters weird habit.

Hi - I don't know if this is a medical condition, but it is starting to worry me.

At the start of the year, Cait started sniffing her fingers. Every now and then running them under her nose. I asked her about it and she said she didn't realise she was doing it.

Now she does it a lot more and sometimes has both hands at her nose while I'm talking to her like it is a natural thing to do.

I separated from her father in 2007 and there was nothing like this in 2008, it just started at the beginning of the year.

She's not a nervous girl or anything and things are pretty normal around here. Her father and I get on well, there is no tension or anything.

What do you think is causing it ? Is it a problem ? Should I take her to someone ? I was thinking about asking her teacher if she does it at school.

DD does this also - she goes through phases of being into smells - she will smell paper and other things including her hands - I usually just ignore it.

It might just be a nice feeling to tickle under her nose. i wouldn't worry about it if it is isolation or if you think it's affecting her socially. I rub my thumbs when I'm bored/stressed etc which my DH picked up on but I had never noticed, just a comforting feeling

I would be getting into contact with her teacher, if she doesn't notice she's doing it, it's probably an unconcious urge that her body follows through with.
    It could be a mild case of OCD, probably not, but it's worth getting it checked out.

If you are concerned, id look into it. Better to have explored the what and why's, than regret it later...

Let us know how you go

I grew up with all sorts of habits like that, so did my brother and sister, and now I see it in a friends daughter and my SIL (who is 11 and not blood related, so not running in family). It can be a type of anxiety, or control. It won't lead to OCD so don't worry (well it may occassionally but not in any of the above mentioned). I am no expert but I would say it's a habit. My mum used to give me three weeks (time it takes to break a habit) and then I'd get a reward. Maybe try that with her.
    xo