Thread: Bad breath

Question Bad breath

My DD has really bad breath. Its so bad that the smell makes me gag.

She has oral thrush and i have been treating it with daktaron. Would the smell be from that or should i see a doctor?

TIA

I would say so. Oral thrush does have a nasty smell. My DD had this all the time in the first 6 months. I didn't find the medications overly effective, it just kept coming back. It was annoying to find out after the fact that was most probably because I was treating just the symptom and not the cause.

Are you breastfeeding, or bottle feeding? If you're breastfeeding and not allergic to milk, it would be a good idea for you to eat homemade natural yogurt and take an probiotic on top of your topical treatment - these will be passed on to bub through the milk and help kill the bacteria. It is also so worth putting the yogurt on your nipples (nipple thrush is horrible) otherwise you'll be passing it back and forth.

If you're bottle feeding, you can put a small amount of powdered probiotic in the formula (I would talk to a health care provider to find out how much they recommend).

Oh, and it would be a good idea to start or up the use of barrier cream on bub's bottom. Where there is oral thrush, candida-based nappy rash generally isn't far behind, particularly if the treatments are working and you're getting die off.
    Last edited by Yeddi; August 27th, 2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Addition