Thread: Bella's Plagiocephaly Update

Post Bella's Plagiocephaly Update

Hey All,

You may remebr that Bella was diagnosed with Plagiocephaly a few months ago and we went to see a Paed.

Well since then we have had a few skull x-rays at the hospital and we are back at the paed next week for another check up.

Today I recieved my appointment letter for the Plag Clinic at the RCH - May 27th - the Paed said that he thinks that her head will get better by its self and that she will not need a helmet - but we will go to the clinic and get her measured up so if in a little while she needs a helmet then it will just have to be made. He didnt call me after her head x-rays so I have taken that as a sign that they were ok - he would have called if they needed imidiate action - wount he??

I guess recieveing the refer to the RCH clinic has just bought back all the worry and stress for me... I really think that her head is getting better and rounding out... but Im no doctor.

The paed said that if her skull bones had started to fuse together then she would need an op to split them back up so that her skull would grow with her brain - if they were fused in the x-rays he would have let us know wouldnt he??

I am quite stressed about an operation.. I always imagine the worst happening - but babies have ops all the time right??

I am trying to be really positive and even if she needs a helmet I am dealing with that - the paed actually said that he would recomend her only wear it at bed time so no one would see it anyway.

So I guess I just need your good luck vibes for the next paed appoint and then the RCH appoint.

Thanks for reading.

Kate xox

Kate, It's hard not to worry about our children.
    It sounds like the Dr is happy with the way things are going or you would have heard straight away.
    With the referral they might have decided to get the measurements on file now and not have you go through the waiting time for another appointment down the track.
    If it's bad news they are usually very quick to call you in so it sounds like things are turning around for you.
    If she only needs to wear the helmet at night that's a real blessing for you all and yes babies/children are having operations all the time and you are with one of the worlds best. Having said that you still worry, that's a parents right.
    All the best with your upcoming appointments, you have a beautiful little girl there.

yes ur doc would have let u know if there was anything in the xrays that were worrying.

DOnt stress about getting a referal to the RCH, its great! I went there.. a week ago and they were lovley. U are going to the best hospital in the world and if there is anything wrong they will know.

Looking at the pic of her on ur ticker, i REALLY dont see what all the fuss is about. Her head looks perfect =) and im not saying that just to make u feel better.

Keep in your mind that these tests are just routine. When Mia was born they did xrays etc on her hip and told me she would need to be in a brace for 6 months or some crap. I was a mess. But hay.. no brace... no nothing, there was nothing wrong with her hip. Same with head tilt, she had is quite severly from birth.. man the places the MCHN told me to go and said nasty things about it being like it all the time and muscle development.. but hay.. she hasnt held her head to the side for 3-4 weeks now. Like not at all, she just stopped doing it.

What Im trying to say is alot of babies have these sorts of issues and 90% of them are fixed with age.

hey,

my bub has plagiocephaly too, which is actually a symptom of a muscle weakness on one side leading to a preference, leading to a flat spot on one side on back of head.

My mhcn referred me straight to the paediatric physio's tho rather than a paed. They told me provided I kept strengthening her muscles and doing the physio to combat the preference and tried to keep her off the flat spot 90% of time should just grow into shape as the skull doesn't fuse till 12 monthsish so odd they checking your bub out for that at her ahe.

I can definately see improvement I reckon. And if you can see even some improvement as well I doubt she'll need a helmet as will grow over time as should plenty of time before skull fuses, but even if she does overnught use only shows that the paed knows it isn't a real nasty case, as the book I have says most helmeted kids need it all time except bathtime, so mustn't be too bad KWIM. Hope this reassures you a bit - sorry for rambling.

Rivlas, Hollye & Sas85
    Thank you all so much for you kind kind words are reassuring thoughts!

I find the "unknown" scarey - once I know whats going on I can learn about it and deal with it - its the what ifs that kill me!

Thanks again ladies, I have my MCHN appoint tomorrow and she is also very knowledgable about these things so she will talk about it also..

Ill keep you all posted..

Thanks heaps again!

Love Kate xox