Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bub hasn't had a bowel movement in 9 days

Default Bub hasn't had a bowel movement in 9 days

Jackson hasn't done a poo in 9 days. He is 5 weeks old and fully breastfed. He usually does one every 3 to 4 days. He doesn't seem in pain or uncomfortable. Should i be worried?

Is everything else alright (wet nappies etc)? And poos have been soft/liquid?

Hey hun, nope if he seems ok I wouldn't be worried at all. J went 12 days once, followed up by a 10 day stint! Unless his tummy is swollen, sore to touch and he is screaming in pain there is nothing to worry about! Amazing that the human body and breastmilk are so perfectly made for each other that they can go so long without a poop! I was told to see someone if it went past 14 days. xox

I dont think you need to be too worried if all seems right. DD didnt poo for about 10 days around that age......but be ready for a good old poo explosion when it comes. My first experience was horrific- shoulders to toes Good luck!

Yes everything else seems fine. Plenty of wet nappies and previous poo's were liquidy.

Then it's probably ok. I think usually bf babies will start going longer between poos at a somewhat later age - 2-3 months. But they're all a bit different. If everything else seems ok then it's probably not a problem. Check with the ABA if you're still not sure.

Yeah sounds fine. My DS still only poo's once a week if that and from 3 weeks he only pooped once every 10 days or there abouts for a while.

I was prepared for a massive explosion and when it finally came it wasn't even that bad and then another 10 days and another meh one! It was the ABA that told me 14 days!

Ok, we're on day 14 and still no poo. His tummy is still soft. He has been farting a bit and it really stinks. I even tried a light tummy massage that my massage therapist taught me and i can see him trying to push but all that comes out is a stinky fart. It's like theres nothing there to push out but that can't be can it? He is still happy and content. Looks hydrated and has wet nappies. Can't afford $65 to go to the doctor. Is there anything i can give him?

At this age I would recommend not supplementing with juice, sugar, or other remedies for constipation. If he is passing a lot of wind the poo is probably not far away, so try massage (clockwise round his belly) and gently massaging around his anus when you are changing his nappy - sounds yucky but worked every time during times like this when my little ones were tiny.

Yup, the longest missy has gone is 12 days - and that was a DOOZIE!

Breast milk doesn't have much waste product - they use it all up so there isn't much to poo out sometimes!

Sue x

The only other thing I can think of is extra milk if you can convince him. You already spoke to the ABA, right?

Chamomile tea in his bathwater (not to drink!) supposedly.

When they are having a growth spurt they may go a while without doing a poo. So you think that could be the case here?

Congrats on the birth of your newest bubba

It can be a bit concerning as a mum when bubs do this to us! Can you tell me a bit about how feeding has been going for you guys? How many times he feeds in 24 hours, does he have one or both sides? How many wet nappies he has in 24 hours (cloth or sposie)? What were his poos like before this little break?

It's a great sign that he is content, and looks well. As some of the other girls have said, breastfed babies poo often as newborns, but can decrease in frequency as they get older (but not necessarily amount LOL!). Your bub might simply be doing that, although as he is still young, it would be great to rule out anything else

Antheia try the ABA phone helpline if you are worried, but I wouldn't be. Oliver went for weeks without a poo round the same age. A mate's boy went 20 days and on the 21st he exploded all over his cot, the wall and curtains. She is a BB member so maybe she will pop in and tell her story - it's a ****er

I wouldnt worry but as the others have said the ABA would have some advice or even your MACHnurse (if you have one you like/trust). a dep, warm bath may relax him if he wants to poo - and the tummy massage (clockwise all around his belly)... i am sure it isnt a prob though if he is relaxed, wet nappies, feeding etc.

Mine usually only poops once a week... one time he went for 2.5 weeks without a poop! Paed said BF bubs can go for up to 3 weeks without a poop! When he did poop though, OMG it was Nasty!! hehe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast