Thread: Chances of bubby getting chicken pox?

Default Chances of bubby getting chicken pox?

Hey guys,

Our mate has just told us that he has chicken pox. He came round on sunday (before the spots showed) and has just been diagnosed today, after having come out in spots yesterday.

What are the chances of our little one getting/ having them already?
    Thanks
    Sue x

Hmmm did he hold her or come into close contact with her? If he didn't I'd guess that she should be okay, but I believe that chicken pox does have a two or three week incubation period where you are contagious. If you think that he was in close contact with her it might be worth having a quick chat to your GP or even Nurse on Call so they can give you a good idea of what to look out for and how to handle it if she does come down with it. GL honey x

Hi Sue,

I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that your friend was probably contagious when he saw you on Sunday. Are you breast-feeding? And have you had chicken pox? My GP told me babies are generally protected by their mother's immunity until around 4-5 months old for most things.

Sorry I can't be more help. I know it must be a bit scary thinking about your little bub getting chicken pox. You could call the health line and ask them if you're worrying about it though - I think the number is 13 health.

I'm pretty sure it's just a few days before spots appear that a person would be contagious

Yeah, for a few days to a week prior to spots appearing a person is somewhat contagious, and after the spots have appeared contact with the fluid inside the blisters is very contagious.

Hello,

DD1 got chicken pox when she was 3y. It took 2 weeks for her to get them after being contacted from our friend whose DD had it. DD2 who was 4 or 5m at the time didn't get until 3 weeks after her sister lol..... Arghhhhh I was in 'confinement for nearly 6 weeks because their sores both took nearly 3 weeks to go lol..... I freaked out when DD1 got the blisters because I was really worried about DD2. In the end though DD2 dealt with it better then DD1.

I would agree with those that say.... if your friend didn't hold or wasn't really around bubby then the chances are there but the chance is really small...... If your friend had a little to do with bub, then the chances are greater. In saying that though, if you're breastfeeding, and you've had CP again chances are limited. It will be a waiting game. If bubby gets it, then take bubby to dr. There is no point taking bub to Dr yet as there is nothing they can do to help you. Go if you feel it will make you feel better, but they won't have a lot of help for you.

I really hope it is a positive outcome for you. I will have all of my fingers and toes crossed for you.

xoxoxoxo

You're friend would have been contagious. We had a similar situation here with DD being held by a friend who found out she had chicken pox 2 or 3 days later. DD was 9 weeks old and she never caught them, maybe she was just lucky though . But honestly hun, I came to the conclusion after worrying myself sick, that if she was going to get them off our friend then we couldnt turn back time and change anything so we just had to cross that bridge when and if we got to it. your little Miss is ok